Technical Action Committee Updates and Discussion

Last week, the Technical Action Committee had a kickoff meeting. Most of the discussion focused on reviewing roles and responsibilities, discussing the differences between the Product Change Committee and the Technical Action Committee, and sharing initial ideas around what the TAC should focus on for the next couple of months.

Here are some of the points that came up during the meeting, some of which are similar to recent discussions that the PCC have had:

  • Important to have countries and implementations represented on the PCC so that the product responds to on the ground needs
  • Interested in having a roadmap that is grounded in what is feasible, what we know we can do now (i.e: in the next 3-6 months)
  • TAC can help identify what modules are used in the ecosystem that can be leveraged by others
  • TAC can determine the technical direction/approaches to invest in and what will help us get there (Microfrontends, being RESTful, moving away from server side, how OpenMRS can work at scale and how we get there, etc)
  • TAC could come up with its own set of priorities for the next few months that can be shared with the PCC to inform a roadmap.

You can find the notes and a link to the recording here.

During last week’s PCC meeting, questions came up about Sync 2.0, FHIR, and OCL for OpenMRS: where do these currently stand? What is next? These seemed to the PCC like questions that fall under the TAC’s purview.

The TAC did not set a weekly time to meet and instead decided to circulate a Doodle poll to help arrive at a time. I encourage everyone who is interested in participating in these discussions to take a Doodle poll. Special note: the time options displayed on the Doodle poll should be: 4pm EAT | 1pm UTC | 9am EDT | 6am PDT or 5pm EAT | 1pm UTC | 10am EDT | 7am PDT.

With Daylight Savings Time starting again in a couple of weeks, I’ll set one time for the coming two weeks and we can confirm how to handle the DST change at the next meeting.

@burke @ningosi @ssmusoke @mksd @jdick @mseaton @mogoodrich @dkayiwa @isears @angshuonline

1 Like

Thanks @jennifer! Sorry I missed this the first time.

I replied to the poll and will get this on my calendar. My schedule is pretty crazy these days, so I’m not sure how many standing meetings I can fit in my calendar, but it sounds like I may way to prioritize this one over the FHIR squad.

Take care, Mark

1 Like

Sorry @jennifer - caught this late. I can only make it next week. I replied to the poll, although the times are 30 mins off for me.

1 Like

Thanks @mogoodrich and @angshuonline! This is why we have dates further out. :slight_smile:

Right now, it looks like Wednesday, October 30 at 6:30pm IST | 4pm EAT | 1pm UTC | 9am EDT | 6am PDT works for those who responded.

Thanks, works for me!

Bringing in updates from other threads so they are all in one place…

2019-10-30 Key Points and Decisions

  • The TAC provides our technical direction and strategy. We want make our technical vision explicit and get alignment on our technical challenges and priorities.
  • It’s important for the TAC and the PCC to have intentional opportunities to work together. We need to figure out when and where to make this happen.
  • The TAC should also make sure that the platform is maintained and up to date. We acknowledged that we face a chicken/egg dilemma: we want and need resources to get work done - and we need to know what work needs to be done in order to allocate resources to work that is actually needed by implementations.
  • Listing out what needs to be done is not going to help with alignment unless we know what our objectives are, what our technical direction and strategy is. Otherwise, we’re simply creating a list and people end up working on tickets or modules that are outdated while current work that would benefit many in the community languishes.
  • As a result, we spent 20 minutes brainstorming potential objectives. These need to be fleshed out.

Action Items

  • Put the rough objectives into a Google document
  • Turn the list of ideas into real objectives (@mogoodrich offered to help me with this, others are welcome to pitch in)

We also:

  • Confirmed our weekly meeting time since Daylight Saving Time starts this weekend. This is what the new times would look like: 7:30pm IST | 5pm Nairobi | 4pm Cape Town | 2pm UTC | 9am Boston | 6am Seattle
  • Figured out where and how we want to communicate on a daily/weekly basis: Dedicated Talk thread for now.

Notes: https://notes.openmrs.org/2019-10-30-Technical-Action-Committee

Click here for the recording.

2019-11-06 Key discussion/decisions

  • Recruiting technical leadership is more of a means to an end. Our objective is to make sure we actively build technical leadership to advance the platform and ecosystem
  • Recruitment is really an Operations thing - this committee (and the PCC) should inform Operations of their needs related to technical leadership to Operations
  • Another important objective focuses on recommended/endorsed technologies for the community
  • Added another objective that focuses on making OpenMRS implementation easier in different contexts - and the six different focus areas fall under this:
    • Improving configurability by end users
    • Easing deployment and upgrade paths
    • Increasing modularity and Improving development experience
    • Integration, interoperability and data sharing
    • Improve metadata management
    • Making sure the platform is stable (and stays stable)
  • Ideas for OMRS19
    • Hackathon focused on microfrontends + FHIR
    • Propose objectives/focus areas as unconference session
    • Friday session summarizes input
    • Use this as a leading session and then regroup

Action Items:

  • Add more feedback on the document
  • Take this and see if we can map this with the PCC needs - Mark has some thoughts about this
  • What objective/technical focus area will have the most impact/value for the community
  • Questions from the community and PCC about Sync 2.0, FHIR, and OCL for OpenMRS

Notes: https://notes.openmrs.org/2019-11-06-Technical-Action-Committee

Click here for the recording.