2019-10-30: Technical Action Committee Meeting

Dear all,

The next Technical Action Committee meeting is this Wednesday, 30 October at 4pm EAT | 1pm UTC | 9am EDT | 6am PDT.

This post has this group’s most recent discussion and updates. I also suggest checking out the PCC’s conversations here.

Agenda items include:

  • Technical priorities and input from implementations
  • Questions from the PCC about Sync 2.0, FHIR, and OCL for OpenMRS

Feel free to propose additional agenda items or questions!

Anyone in the community is welcome to join the call! @burke @dkayiwa @ssmusoke @mogoodrich @angshuonline @jdick @ningosi @mseaton @isears @k.joseph

To join the call by phone, dial +1-888-510-4073. To join the call using Audio, Chat, & Screen Sharing please use a compatible browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) and go to: http://www.uberconference.com/openmrs

Thanks @jennifer , last week i had a question regarding implementing openmrs in dentistry , and i did not get much feed back , and this seems to be one area where openmrs is lacking. I resorted to building that functionality my self ,but it would be great if i could get more support and design ideas from this commitee, and it would be great if we can talk about it. Thanks.

1 Like

@mozzy what exactly is lacking? Does it require special data entry forms that OpenMRS does not support? Or something else? A bit of real requirements would help.

Thanks @dkayiwa. The unique requirement for this feature would be a Dental Status Chart . The Dental Status Chart is the graphical representation of the patient‟s teeth and the proper Dental Numbering. Otherwise the rest of the work is simply building forms

There more than three Dental Numbering Systems and also there are several Dental Status Chart designs. So i just wanted more guidance on which works better as far as openmrs is concerned.

Thanks @jennifer for leading this call… do we have a location yet where we should start trying to flesh out our technical priorities, continuing from the etherpad from the meeting?

Take care, Mark

@mogoodrich, short answer is yes! Here’s the link to the Google doc.

And really, the thanks goes out to you, @burke, @angshuonline, @dkayiwa, and @ibacher for the excellent discussion and resulting action items. Here’s a link to the notes and the key points/decisions and action items are summarized below.

Key Points and Decisions

  • The TAC provides our technical direction and strategy. We want make our technical vision explicit and get alignment on our technical challenges and priorities.
  • It’s important for the TAC and the PCC to have intentional opportunities to work together. We need to figure out when and where to make this happen.
  • The TAC should also make sure that the platform is maintained and up to date. We acknowledged that we face a chicken/egg dilemma: we want and need resources to get work done - and we need to know what work needs to be done in order to allocate resources to work that is actually needed by implementations.
  • Listing out what needs to be done is not going to help with alignment unless we know what our objectives are, what our technical direction and strategy is. Otherwise, we’re simply creating a list and people end up working on tickets or modules that are outdated while current work that would benefit many in the community languishes.
  • As a result, we spent 20 minutes brainstorming potential objectives. These need to be fleshed out.

Action Items

  • Put the rough objectives into a Google document
  • Turn the list of ideas into real objectives (@mogoodrich offered to help me with this, others are welcome to pitch in)

We also need to:

  • Confirm our weekly meeting time since Daylight Saving Time starts this weekend. This is what the new times would look like: 7:30pm IST | 5pm Nairobi | 4pm Cape Town | 2pm UTC | 9am Boston | 6am Seattle
  • Figure out where and how we want to communicate on a daily/weekly basis. Do we want a dedicated Talk thread where we can discuss and make decisions, share meeting updates, etc? Do you want to use any other communication channels?

Thanks @jennifer!

That time works for me…

I think a dedicated Talk thread makes sense… or it is better practice to have a topic in Talk with multiple posts instead of one long thread?

I haven’t been great about Slack, but I’d be okay with a Slack channel, as long as we tried to limit it to times when it really is something that requires only a quick response and is time-sensitive.

Take care, Mark

@jennifer @burke @angshuonline @dkayiwa I went in to see if I could flesh out the Google Doc a bit and ended up making some major changes. I hope my changes are positive and help us move things forward, and aren’t just me rewriting it so it makes more sense to me or too strongly reflects my goals… :slight_smile:

Certainly feel free to give feedback!

I will be on the call tomorrow.

Take care, Mark

1 Like