Do you want to help us make OpenMRS available in more languages?
There is a steady stream of community volunteers helping to translate pieces of OpenMRS into different languages. This is really valuable, but we aren’t able to leverage it as effectively as we would like, because we don’t have anyone thinking at a higher level about OpenMRS and translation. Can you be that person, and help us get more effective around localizing OpenMRS for different contexts?
We’re looking for a volunteer OpenMRS I18N Manager.
Prerequisites: none (not even speaking another language)
- ~10 hours up front
- <1 hour/week on an ongoing basis.
- maybe 1-5 hours twice a year for OpenMRS Reference Application releases
Up front work:
- Become familiar with the capabilities of the Transifex tool.
- Propose a process for incorporating community-provided translations into OpenMRS Core and Modules, which should include thinking about: (some ideas here)
- Are new translations pushed into modules automatically, or do the module owners have to pull them?
- Do we introduce a “review” process for translations? Are there any prerequisites to be a reviewer? Does this differ for common vs uncommon languages?
- Should we specifically try to do any testing during the UAT phase before a release of the Reference Application?
- Present this process on OpenMRS Talk and on a Developers Forum, and incorporate feedback.
- Document it on the wiki
- Respond to requests from community volunteers who want to become translators/reviewers in Transifex, and grant them access as necessary
- Periodically review the status of translations, and inform people of any roadblocks (e.g. some language has many unreviewed translations piling up, or some module is not incorporating translations)
- Raise an issue with the Project Management team if there are
Before each Reference Application Release:
- Take extra care to ensure all Reference Application modules are up to date with all community-provided translations
- Oversee the UAT process for testing translations (if applicable, depending on the process you proposed)