How can RefApp 2.3.1 use Spanish language by default?

Hmm, I went ahead and followed the instructions that I had written, and I agree that things seem to be completely broken (particularly, the “default locale” is not applied when you log into the Reference Application).

I had already written a ticket about improving the usability of this:

Now I have added another ticket about fixing the bug:

Both of these tickets are good introductory tickets for any developer.

So, if you go to the legacy UI, and change the language in the footer, it should remain translated after you navigate to the next page. For example I see this when I change the language to French there, and click on Home:

1 Like

@darius Hey,

It could be that the French translation is more complete that the Spanish.

As you can see, part of the legacy UI is translated when I click “Español” on the footer

However, when I click “Home,” none of it is translated into Spanish:

I am currently looking into the Transifex option

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/Translating+the+Reference+Application

It looks like some of the modules still need to be translated, while others need to be revised.

Once these are done, the developed can manually pull them into the module

@boyntonkc you’re a step ahead of me, I was just about to send you that link.

However looking at transifex it seems that the translation is 100% complete. I wonder if this was completed after the Reference Application 2.3 release, and that’s why they aren’t included (yet).

It appears that the “Main Core App” is only 74% translated.

I am not sure, but my programmer and I think that may be the main issue.

Im currently trying to figure out how I can push this project through. Im not sure if they need more translations or more revisions…

A lot of translations in Transifex still need to pulled in to the appropriate modules.

For example, In the Reference Application module, the Spanish translations are 100% done in Transifex, but a Spanish messages file has never been configured in the module itself, so none of the Spanish translations have been pulled into this module. I noticed this for several modules when pulling in translations recently. I set up things properly for the modules I was updating, but the Reference Application module wasn’t one of them–I had a “to do” to send an email to Talk about this, but this thread beat me to it… :slightly_smiling:

I’ve added a section to the OpenMRS Transifex docs, “Adding a New Language to a Module”:

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Maintaining+OpenMRS+Module+Translations+via+Transifex

Mark

For developers, I have also created a ticket about automatically pulling translations in from Transifex:

Thanks @darius!

Is this going to be the main way that folks customize their UI? By doing builds which automatically bring in the properties files? Or do we need a content distribution method similar to what we do with concept tables to allow existing users to update their properties files?

No. What we’re talking about here is that module developers and maintainers need to take a few steps to start having their modules incorporate the translations that community members are being kind enough to do in the Transifex tool.

Can someone guide me on fixing the issue as in my case I observe 0% change in language on changing default locale from user options. Or direct me to the part of code working on the internationalization logic.

@themoonraker13 see:

Thanks @darius. The issue link and the links mentioned in the issue helped me figure out the solution to the problem. :slightly_smiling:

The fix allows user to change his/her default language/locale and the changes are effective once the user does a logout followed by login.

I’m still thinking for the language changes to take effect instantly without forcing the user to perform a re-login.

I created a ticket for that earlier in this thread. See:

Show RA-992, RA-995, RA-997 and they combine to form my issue list. :grinning:

1. I’ve added the possible cause of the issue discussed in RA-992
  2. I’ve fixed RA-997 and I’m able to see the language changes in effect on re-login.

I’ve addressed/implemented some of the points mentioned on RA-995. The broken language setting workflow is fixed and also the user-default locale changes are applied instantly without forcing the user to perform a re-login to see the changes in effect.

@themoonraker13, it would be helpful if you can be more explicit in your messages here about whether you addressed/implemented this in your fork or on the master branch of development. When I read this I understood that you had made a pull request to fix RA-995, but when I looked I see this wasn’t the case.

:grimacing: I’ve generated pull requests for the fixes I’ve made in my code to get rid of some of the issues discussed under this topic.

So, now that code has been fixed, all we need to do is take the messages_es.properties from transifex (which is 100% for spanish in coreapps, referenceapplication, appointmentscheduling…). We just need to include those properties files in the next release of these modules. @michael /@darius Do you know if there is an automated way to get pull requests from transifex?

1 Like

It is possible to set this up automatically, but we haven’t done it yet. Some CI configuration work is needed. I’ve been (slowly) discussing this with @teamprojekt, who is our volunteer translation manager, e.g. in this conversation and in the general #dev:translation category.

Since most of the Reference Application 2.4 modules have been released already I thought that we had missed our window to get these translations in in time:

We’ll talk about this on the June 2 dev forum.