My OpenMRS Fellowship Journey: Anjula Samarasinghe

Hello everyone! :vulcan_salute: My name is Anjula, and I’m a physical science undergraduate who has a passion for open source. Open-source software has always played an essential role in my life, as it is where I first started learning. Over two years ago, I discovered OpenMRS and knew that I wanted to be a part of it. Last year, I was thrilled to be selected for Google Summer of Code and successfully completed the rebuilding of the cohort builder.

I am excited to announce that I have been selected as a QA Engineering Fellow for the OpenMRS Fellowship program! I can’t wait to start my fellowship journey and contribute towards the development of OpenMRS while further enhancing my skills under the guidance of my mentor, @jayasanka. Our primary focus is on improving the overall product quality and implementing solutions to maintain the product quality while improving the developer experience.

Over the past few weeks, I have had several calls with my mentor to discuss my fellowship plan and goals. I also joined the informative orientation session to learn more about the program. Additionally, I proposed a project idea for GSoC 2023, which involves extending E2E Automated Tests for the OpenMRS 3.0 RefApp. You can find more details about this project here.

For the first month of my fellowship, my primary focus is to identify the test cases for patient management, understand how to write an effective E2E test with playwright, and write E2E tests with playwright to cover the patient management.

I also wrote my first article as well,

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to OpenMRS for giving me this amazing opportunity. I am thrilled to be working with all of you and look forward to contributing to the growth and development of this community.


To start writing end-to-end (e2e) tests for the 3.0 RefApp , it is essential to identify the test cases to be tested. To achieve this, a divide-and-conquer approach is being used to identify workflow test cases. As a first step, the test cases for patient management were identified with the guidance of the mentor @jayasanka. Relevant ticket and documentation were prepared for this purpose.

After the test cases were identified, several issues were created to address the identified bugs.

During this process, a small bug was found in the translation interpolation issue in the empty text illustration, which was promptly fixed.

Following this, I started writing the e2e test for appointments, during this another bug was discovered and reported. This bug currently blocks the e2e test from being completed.

In light of this, the focus shifted to writing the e2e test for active visits, and this task is currently in progress. The main objective for the upcoming weeks is to complete the main test coverage for patient management.


During the past week, I made progress on several fronts. Firstly, I managed to write my first E2E test with playwright. Since it differs significantly from cypress it took some time to get the hang of it, @jayasanka provided valuable guidance to help me understand the concepts involved.

Regarding the appointments table issue, @dkibet is still working on it, which is currently blocking me from moving forward with the appointments E2E test.

In addition, I identified an opportunity to improve the patient registration and edit E2E tests, which I captured in a ticket. A new contributor has been assigned to the task. Additionally, I discovered a bug in the registration form that displayed incorrect labels for input fields. I submitted a pull request to fix it.

Last week, I encountered an issue with the patient registration and patient edit tests, which were failing on Firefox. I began investigating this and discovered that Firefox was not allowing service workers to run over HTTP. To address this, I created a thread to discuss possible solutions and opened a ticket to track progress on resolving the issue.

In the upcoming week, the QA team is planning to provide updates on our progress thus far and our plans for the year at the Mini Community Meeting. I look forward to sharing our accomplishments and upcoming goals.

1 Like