Ideas for GSOC 2023

This is early, and we’ll still need a formal place for Project Brainstorming like was kicked off in 2022. But people have been asking me what ideas I have for 2023, so I want to share a few. I want to hear from our technical folks whether these ideas seem technically feasible within GSOC-style-scope, and whether implementers would find these valuable (e.g. @slubwama @aojwang @fanderson @mksrom and others).

I also don’t have any mentors i.d.'d for these features so if there are any tech folks or orgs interested in supporting any of these with mentorship & PR reviews, would love to hear from you!!

• :mag: O3: Search Patient Chart feature

• E.g. search all of a particular patient chart for an item of interest, e.g. “IUD” or “COVID”, to find if that term/situation has ever come up for this patient. I have heard clinicians wish their EMR had this. Probably leverage this previous: GitHub - openmrs/openmrs-module-chartsearch: liquibase.xml
    • Scope: Challenging? Not sure what skills would be required. Backend? Maybe a team of BE & FE?
  • :art: O3: Draw on a Body Diagram

• Detailed community discussion thread: O3 Feature: Draw on a body diagram Scope TBD. UI for a diagram (ideally where any diagram can be uploaded). Unclear whether scope should be for clicking vs drawing.
  • :printer: O3: Print feature

• “Print this” component in O3 that can be used/configured depending on what the user wants to print. E.g. med list, recent labs, etc. Will need to do review of what people are printing / where in EMR they need/have the print button these days. Some implementers need specific areas of the chart to have a print option; others use general record printouts, e.g. a summary the patient can take with them to other locations in lieu of a digital medical record integration.
    • Scope: Medium? React knowledge probably needed.
  • :teacher: O3: Built-in User Onboarding:

• Implement User Onboarding in the Test 3 and O3 demo environments, like these designs show. Introduce users to major features in a typical generic outpatient workflow. There are libraries we can leverage to run this onboarding ui.
    • Scope: Medium?

CC @dkayiwa @ibacher @jayasanka @dennis

7 Likes

Thanks for kickstarting the GSoC 2023 brainstorming off, @grace! On the 2023 Fellowship Program side, we’re also planning to use January to brainstorm Capstone Projects.

Let’s brainstorm projects for both at the same time, through the end of January.

This way, we’re only doing a single round of project brainstorming & definition for both programs - and we can determine if a project idea is best as a GSoC project or a Fellowship Capstone Project.

@nikeshbalami @kdaud

3 Likes

Hello guys, I am looking for some guidance on how can I contribute to openMRS, I am good at spring boot & flutter and also looking to learn new stuffs, if your could help me to get started.

looking forward to meet an mentor

1 Like

Hello guys, I am looking for some guidance on how can I contribute to openMRS, I am good at figma ui ux design & flutter and also looking to learn new stuffs, if your could help me to get started.

looking forward to meet an mentor. thank s for reading happy coding

Welcome to our community, @shyam1ss15 and @parthis! I suggest that you take a look at and use our Guide for the New & Curious as a starting point for your OpenMRS journey. It will point you to our community conventions, give you a sense of how we’re organized, and link out to some active squads or teams working on projects that you might want to get to know better. Many squads and teams have specific guidance for getting started on their projects.

1 Like

thank you for your guidance sir