This is early, and we’ll still need a formal place for Project Brainstorming like was kicked off in 2022. But people have been asking me what ideas I have for 2023, so I want to share a few. I want to hear from our technical folks whether these ideas seem technically feasible within GSOC-style-scope, and whether implementers would find these valuable (e.g. @slubwama @aojwang @fanderson @mksrom and others).
I also don’t have any mentors i.d.'d for these features so if there are any tech folks or orgs interested in supporting any of these with mentorship & PR reviews, would love to hear from you!!
O3: Search Patient Chart feature
- E.g. search all of a particular patient chart for an item of interest, e.g. “IUD” or “COVID”, to find if that term/situation has ever come up for this patient. I have heard clinicians wish their EMR had this. Probably leverage this previous: GitHub - openmrs/openmrs-module-chartsearch: liquibase.xml
- Scope: Challenging? Not sure what skills would be required. Backend? Maybe a team of BE & FE?
O3: Draw on a Body Diagram
- Detailed community discussion thread: O3 Feature: Draw on a body diagram Scope TBD. UI for a diagram (ideally where any diagram can be uploaded). Unclear whether scope should be for clicking vs drawing.
O3: Print feature
- “Print this” component in O3 that can be used/configured depending on what the user wants to print. E.g. med list, recent labs, etc. Will need to do review of what people are printing / where in EMR they need/have the print button these days. Some implementers need specific areas of the chart to have a print option; others use general record printouts, e.g. a summary the patient can take with them to other locations in lieu of a digital medical record integration.
- Scope: Medium? React knowledge probably needed.
O3: Built-in User Onboarding:
- Implement User Onboarding in the Test 3 and O3 demo environments, like these designs show. Introduce users to major features in a typical generic outpatient workflow. There are libraries we can leverage to run this onboarding ui.
- Scope: Medium?