GSoD 2019 : Warm up practices for Technical Writers

Hello Community ,

For the first time in our History , OpenMRS applied to participate in Google Season Of Docs (GSoD)and was accepted as announced some few days back.

Now that we were successful ,we would like to call upon interested Technical Writers to take note of the following

Note the TIMELINE

Warm up practices for GSoD 2019

1. Signup for An OpenMRS ID , if you don’t have one (It’s what you will use to communicate)

2. If you are new to OpenMRS, spend some time to understand OpenMRS community / Software / practices and its usages around the world , best place to start is our Wiki

3. Read Through the OpenMRS GSOD Page wiki page and more so Technical Writer’s Guide

4. If you have any question/s please use our official communication channels namely OpenMRS Talk , Telegram and IRC Channels

5. Be active on OpenMRS talk forum ,by discussing project ideas with The OpenMRS Community .Ask as many questions as possible,or share articles to do with your Project Ideas

6. Read through Hints on the Application / Acceptance Criteria

cc @burke @jennifer @c.antwi @jwnasambu @irenyak1 @gcliff @dkayiwa

6 Likes

Are these on the program’s landing page? https://wiki.openmrs.org/x/m4BEDQ

Or can someone get to them from there?

@dkayiwa do you mean the warm up practices ?

tru dat!!!

Thanks for the observation , they are not there and i never thought of it that way , i’ll have them up.

1 Like

@tendomart thanks martin

1 Like

@tendomart Great work done

1 Like

@tendomart Thanks For the info. Is there any specific format for project proposal??

@sk9331657 you may find something here

@tendomart I am actually taking about the format for technical writer proposal for GSOD projects . Like we have certain formats for GSOC given by students to their organisation.

@sk9331657 I will get back to you ,but have you read through the links above ?

Yes @tendomart . Looking forward to hear from you.

Hi everyone I am Sachin, a sophomore at Delhi Technological University in India. I am pursuing B.Tech. in Computer Science. I wish to participate in Season of Docs with OpenMRS.

I love to learn new technologies. I am a full stack developer and have a good experience in the open source. I have gone through all the links and ideas page. Please guide me how to proceed further.

hello @sachin235 thank you for showing interest in this, kindly go through this, it will guide you on how to get started and feel free to post your queries here

Hey everyone. I’m Arslan writing from Pakistan. I went through details and have a query. I don’t have any technical experience in this regard. Can i be helpful?

2 Likes

cc @jennifer @c.antwi

hello @marslan8530 have a look at this and that

@marslan8530 Do you mean Technical Experience with writing or rather with OpenMRS ? If it’s skills ,we as a community expect you to use your "Technical Writing Skills " to our advantage ,the Mentors are very much equipped with the Community ,processes and OpenMRS in General ,and it’s their mandate to curate you in the process, on behalf of the Community.

You may also want to look at the Technical Writer Eligibility
to be accepted as Writer and the Guidelines which will be used to Asses Your Proposal.

@sachin235 Next thing you want to look at is The Time Line , The current activity is sharing your ideas with the community ,about mid next week as the application phase is commencing.Hope you’re kept aware from the Timeline.

@tendomart Hi , I have gone through contribution guidelines and will love to contribute with OpenMRS as GSOD candidate. Can you provide me proposal template so that I can start working on proposal ?? Looking forward to work with OpenMRS and build a strong bond with the community.