GSoC 2020 - Improving OpenMRS DHIS2 Integration - Final Presentation

Overview

DHIS is a world-known open-source software platform for reporting, analysis, and dissemination of data for all health programs. OpenMRS DHIS2 integration is a crucial requirement in the COVID-19 pandemic, HIV, and other diseases. Many OpenMRS implementing partners have developed short-term solutions to DHIS2 integration, but the need for a robust solution is critical. The purpose of this project is to provide an extensible way for OpenMRS DHIS2 integration to help implementers prepare for and respond to the need for quality data in COVID-19 pandemic and future ones.

Objectives

1. Gather requirements by communicating with the teams who have currently deployed the OpenMRS to understand the problems using the current DHIS2 Integration module — COMPLETED
  2. Upgrade the module to work with the latest version of the DHIS2 data model — COMPLETED

Demo:

Contributions

Repository:

Pull Requests: openmrs/openmrs-module-dhisreport - Pull Requests by Jayasanka Weerasinge

Issues: OpenMRS - ADX - DHIS Report Module - Issues assigned to Jayasanka Weerasinghe

Talk Threads:

Other talk threads:

Search results for @jayasanka - OpenMRS Talk

Weekly Blog Posts

Community Bonding Period:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Week 5:

Week 6:

Week 7:

Week 8:

Week 9:

Week 10:

Week 11:

Resources

Future Work

1. Reconcile DHIS2 Reporting module branches To make the module available in production, the adx and adx-disaggregations branches should be merged to master to ensure the module has the following,
    • Use CODE values instead of UIDs
    • Use DHIS2 friendly terms at the dataset level
    • Define a standard set of concepts/terms to use
    • Import datasets using a connected DHIS2 instance
    • Support multiple Period Types
    • Map OMRS locations with DHIS2 Organisation Unit codes
  2. Develop the UI using Micro Frontends
  3. Add custom SQL Queries support
  4. Add Export functionality (export SQL-mapped dataset from the module)
  5. Push data to DHIS2 automatically
  6. Store multiple DHIS2 connections

Final Words

I can proudly say that GSoC is one of the turning points of my life! I have not only improved my programming skills but also developed my soft skills such as communication skills and presentation skills. I found an amazing community at OpenMRS. I had to work with people around the world, which led me to build a great network. I’m so happy for being able to contribute to the world to save lives during the COVID-19 pandemic through this project.

I would like to thank my mentor Akshika Wijesundara from Open University, UK, for guidance and support. He was truly a great inspiration for me. I am also very grateful to Grace Potma, the Director of Product at OpenMRS, Ian Bacher from Brown University, USA, Daniel Kayiwa from Makerere University, UG, and Jennifer Antilla, the Director of Community at OpenMRs for always being there for me. I also like to thank my backup mentor, Sai Sandeep Mutyala, and Suthagar Kailayapathy, the GSoC org admin of OpenMRS for supporting and helping me to point the project in the right direction. I must mention my deep sense of appreciation for the OpenMRS community, for being quite supportive throughout this time. And finally, thanks to Google, for providing me this wonderful opportunity!

cc: @akshika47 @heliostrike @grace @ibacher @dkayiwa @jennifer @suthagar23

4 Likes

Thank you @jayasanka for this comprehensive report.