Design Process for Jira Tickets

I was doing analysis for a new feature we have ticketed in Jira yesterday and thought, “Wow, I sure could use the advice of a designer.” So I texted @gschmidt, and we had a brief discussion, and it was very helpful.

Perhaps we should have a process for sending Jira tickets for UX design that doesn’t rely on who the devs may have met at the Implementer’s Conference?

I defer to @c.antwi, Greg, and any other designers here, but my starting-point of an idea would be that

• there should be a status on Jira “needs design”
  • devs should send tickets to that status as appropriate
  • OpenMRS should have a set of designers that monitor and work on the tickets in that status

I think I recall someone at some point suggesting that there be a designer equivalent to the “dev-n” designations? Perhaps that could tie into this really nicely?

2 Likes

@bistenes this is the type of feedback I have been looking for! I had initially posted my thoughts here Business Analysts and Designers : Improving Presence in OMRS activities

I definitely want to discuss this further because we have activities that are ongoing in the Ref App release that desperately need BA’s

Lets hear what others think then we schedule a design forum to finalize next steps

2 Likes

Exactly this will be a pretty idea.

Thanks @bistenes for bringing this up. :slight_smile:

Are you referring to the already existing Jira status of “Design”?

https://issues.openmrs.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20TRUNK%20and%20status%20%3D%20Design%20

Oh nice, yes, so that could be the Jira support for what I’m talking about. But the core of what I’m proposing is that there be a team of designers who can be called on for design help, and/or will keep an eye on that “Design” status in Jira. Some process around this could really help make design a more integral part of OpenMRS development.

2 Likes

@bistenes, we already have isssues here that needs design

I like this. Will leave it to @c.antwi to take it forward. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@bistenes - this approach makes sense to me, thank you for posting this in Talk

As a reminder to all, I’m always available if for contact if you have any design related questions.

Also, I’m sure @isaacholeman will have some suggestions on how to streamline this process

So these are the initial thoughts on a framework we could use to get started:

Goal:

An OpenMRS application that is designed using international best practices , who design is user driven and enhanced to meet field conditions

Roles and Responsibilities :

The goal of the BA /Design group is to support and contribute to the design and refinement of features and concepts of OpenMRS artefacts.

Activities:

• Reviews features proposed by the community during release planning to determine feasibility
  • Work with product owners to define requirements of features
  • Develop wireframes/prototypes/ use cases for identified features
  • Conducts gap/situational analysis ongoing releases to determine if features are meeting community needs
  • Review and complete relevant JIRA tickets that require design/analysis
  • Share the latest practices on BA/Design
  • Infuse HCD (human centred design) concepts into the artefacts being developed
  • Support testing and Quality Assurance activities
  • Support Documentation Activities
  • Mentorship of up and coming BA’s or those looking to contribute but are not Dev’s

Communication Strategy

• Standing BA/Designer Call once a week (or every 2 weeks if its too much)
    • Could adopt similar format from PM Call where specific projects are discussed and BA activities that need to be done
    • Discuss any blockers
  • Standing Dedicated JIRA Board / We could link to existing tickets that need BA work?
  • Standing Dedicated group on Talk
  • Updated Wiki Page

I had thought of doing a survey within the community to better understand the role of the BA in their current implementations ? What are your thoughts on this?

Wondering if using this spreadsheet (or something like it) could help identify those who might want to be a part of such a group or contribute their design skills to a particular Jira ticket or project?

Added my details to the spreadsheet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Btw ‘needs design’ might mean ‘needs architecture/code design’, so we need to either distinguish here or make sure that a single Jira status can encompass a broader set of possibilities when it comes to design.

1 Like

Oh yeah, good point! Yeah, I want to be talking very explicitly/specifically about UX design.

@bistenes have you seen this discussion thread : Design Forum 2019-07-03 : Establishing a Design UI Squad to support Design Activities in the Community

this meeting will be scheduled on Monday July 8 . I will send a new notice out for this shortly