Volunteer to be the OpenMRS RefApp 2.6 Release Manager

Hello OpenMRS Community,

We are looking for a Release Manager for OpenMRS Reference Application 2.6, which is scheduled for release in April. Are you aspiring to become a /dev/3, /dev/4, or /dev/5? Being a release manager is a valuable experience for any open source developer, lets you influence the roadmap and priorities for the community, and gives you the opportunity to make a substantial and prominent contribution to the OpenMRS mission. This is a crucial role that ensures the awesome contributions from various volunteers to be available to everyone.

The job of a release manager is not to do all the work; rather, to make decisions on what goes into the release and to guide the community through the release process.

Remember, we are a community that works together, so you will not be alone in the release process. We have a documented process, weekly project management calls to discuss issues, and several previous release managers in our community who can provide mentoring for you and answer your questions.

Thanks to @taremwatadeo for successfully managing and releasing Reference Application 2.5!

To volunteer to be Release Manager for OpenMRS Reference Application 2.6, reply to this message.

Skills Needed:

• Time to be the release manager between January and April
  • Good Communication Skills
  • Basic DevOps skills - creating ssh keys, being able to ssh into a remote environment, basic file operations in a remote environment.
  • Being comfortable with different communication tools to interact with different members of the community.

Also, we are looking for a previous release manager to volunteer to pair with the new release manager to help them with the release process, so any previous release managers interested may reply to this post to volunteer.

1 Like

Here again @maurya can i grab that

Hello @maurya I’m really interested in this, but I have never handled a release before :grinning:

2 Likes

@maurya does this reach the target audience? Am asking because the two people who have so far expressed interest, have only got to know about it from a link i pasted on IRC.

I have noticed that a number of people miss out on talk communication simply because they do not know what to do to get notified. When we had mailing lists, it was super simple. You either subscribe to the developers or implementers mailing lists and that is it. But for talk, even myself, before subscribing to everything, i used to miss out on lots of important communication.

1 Like

@dkayiwa I have also shared on various platforms - LinkedIn, Twitter and G+ to increase visibility

1 Like

Hello @maurya i would like also to be given an opportunity to be a release manager. Thanks

@maurya, has a decision been made?

OpenMRS would like to greatly thank everyone who applied for being the release manager for Reference Application 2.6. As per our Release Manager Selection Criteria @grimm has been selected as the Release manager for Reference Application 2.6. Congratulations @grimm !

Volunteers who have applied for being the release manager, we highly encourage applying for being the Release Manager of Reference Application 2.7 (November 2017) and Platform 2.1 (2017). Until then please consider other ways to contribute to OpenMRS.

1 Like

Hello @grimm,

@taremwatadeo (Release Manager for Reference Application 2.5), volunteered to be the mentor for this cycle (Thank you!!! :hug:). He will be the first point of contact. Also, the community and I will be available to guide you if you need any help.

Congrats @grimm! :tada:

1 Like

Excellent news, @grimm looking forward to getting this release out …

Kudos to @taremwatadeo for mentoring, as The best way to learn something is to teach it

2 Likes

Thanks all. I really look forward to this.

2 Likes

congs @grimm best of luck.

1 Like

Just a heads up, I did some changes to the reference application build (about docker images and the demo server), so please get me involved when the refapp distro will be released, so I can be on call and make sure I fix the build straightaway!

Unfortunately, @grimm will not be able to manage Reference Application 2.6 release process, due to the internet conditions in Cameroon.

We are trying to find a release manager for 2.6 again, interested volunteers please respond to this thread in this week, as we plan to choose a release manager soon. (@hilz041 and @tendomart are you still interested ?)

1 Like

So sad to hear that @grimm was unable due to internet connections in his country. Am still available for the challenge @maurya. Thanks

Bumping this back to the top of Talk …

Sorry for @grimm am still available too

I have no any experience but Wish to join you,Do you still have some space?:smile: