This week, the topic of REST API Test Coverage was raised in both the PM Team and QA Support Team calls.
- Historically, doing manual tests of our REST API delays our Platform releases (example of manual tests here).
- There are some existing REST WS tests, like these (which are buried and hard to find), but it’s not clear how much coverage our REST API has.
- Given that our REST API is something ALL OpenMRS system users leverage, we should feel confident in our coverage of REST WS.
So, we talked about the need for more REST API test coverage in the Platform Team call today. Here are the key takeaways and next steps:
- Agreed that the spreadsheet with manual API test calls can/should be automated
- First: Platform Team Members (e.g. @dkayiwa, others?) to take a dozen of these tests, i.d. most critical ones, cross-check that these exist in the existing RESTWS tests. Then, create tickets for those that are left out and still need to be added in to the RESTWS module.
- Then: QA Support Team Members can write tests for those that are missing.
Here’s the 15 min discussion of interest (I cropped this link so you don’t have to listen to the full hour unless you want to): 15 minute recording of REST API Test Coverage