My OpenMRS Fellowship Journey: Daud

FIRST PHASE OF NOVEMBER

Platform 2.4.0 REST-WS Endpoint Tests Finally Completed! 

Platform 2.4.0 REST-WS end point tests that were identified by the Platform team have been automated and now running on every PR that is triggered on GitHub - openmrs/openmrs-module-webservices.rest: Provides RESTful web services for OpenMRS and also running with ci on the module via Bamboo. This is a great milestone for OpenMRS community since these tests do the work of automating the Platform 2.x RESTWS end points, support Platform 2.x releases and also will reduce the maintenance burden for the module. The automated tests status for the current Bamboo build plan for REST API is tracked via QA-Dashbaord

In a special way, I acknowledge the tremendous efforts by @jonathan who has done tirelessly towards the success of the work and currently finishing the last test logged at RESTWS-861. @dkayiwa @ibacher have been instrumental in guiding the contributors through their reviews. I can not forget Daniel’s review comment he made on one of my PR where he said “That open mindedness will take you to the moon” which motivated me to push forward the test coverage of RESTWS end points and now we have them covered.

Test coverage for RefApp 2.x increased!

In the past weeks, we have had huge contributions from our contributors and more workflow tests based on BDD framework have been added in qaframework module. I and @sharif are providing technical support to the QA contributors through making reviews and providing guidance to squad members hence increasing the test coverage for OpenMRS Reference Application. These tests are supporting maintenance of RefApp and will support upcoming releases for Reference Application 2.x. Each workflow test status is tracked via the QA Dashboard for the current build plan and cucumber feature files are so helpful in tracking the test that might fail at any time based on the current Bamboo build plan through providing a report at cucumber.io which shows the specific step within the files that is failing and makes trouble shouting easier for developers.

Comparing with the experience of resurrecting selenium tests, I notice tests developed in BDD framework are more sustainable & maintainable than the old selenium legacy tests because BDD tests are well documented through feature files which uses a simple human readable language known as Gherkin which can easily be understood by non-technical people(business people, product managers and system users) and also makes troubleshooting breaking test more easier to the dev. All said, we may need to look into transforming selenium legacy tests into BDD framework to have all our automated tests maintainable and sustainable. cc: @christine @grace @sharif @ibacher

Have also worked with @christine on Getting Started Guide with QA and has been a nice experience learning skills in documenting for technical and non-technical contributors. The skills am acquiring through this work is helping me to do a better documentation on our QA-Documentations to have them provide proper guidance to our contributors. Thanks @jennifer who encouraged me to join the documentation team and @kaylinbracey who is taking us through practical documentation sessions on monthly basis! Looking at how I have transformed my documentation skills through this experience, I think one day I may become a technical writer :writing_hand: along side </software development>.

Work To Do

Am currently integrating a tool in qaframework module that will make it easier to test proposed changes, as opposed to the current pull before the changes are merged into master. This will make it easier to get feedback on proposed changes, from the product owners and other stakeholders. As well cut down the length of the feedback loop in regards to proposed improvements to the QA Framework module. The tool will be integrated in other OpenMRS modules to improve development processes and better our products!

A word of thanks to @dkayiwa @christine @jennifer @grace @janflowers @ibacher @sharif @jayasanka and our QA Team improving the QA Framework module to better OpenMRS processes and to release products with better end user experience.

8 Likes