Technical Road Map for 2020

With the release of OpenMRS 2.10, it’s about time we put some stakes in the ground for what we think we can accomplish within the rest of 2020. We’ve got some great efforts going on with Microfrontends and FHIR along with growing interest in ETL. And there are some GSoC projects focused on advancing the platform and to create new modules. Can some of these efforts contribute to the community’s technical road map?

Imagine 2020 is coming to an end. Maybe your attending a (virtual?) OMRS20. As you look back at 2020, what developmental milestones do you expect have been reached?

• Who is using Microfrontends? Is the MF module shipping with the latest release of the OpenMRS RefApp?
  • Does the platform now include the latest version of the FHIR module supporting R4?
  • Have we made any specific steps closer to being cloud-ready or supporting clustering (e.g., removing context dependencies from data objects or moving away from singleton pattern in the API)?
  • Have we upgraded some critical libraries or upgraded to supported version of Hibernate or Spring?
  • Does OpenMRS support Java 11 (without losing supported for Java 8)?

We’d love to hear your ideas & expectations of what you think the community should prioritize in the remainder of 2020.

6 Likes

@burke,i would be interested in having hibernate and java upgrades since we could be missing on many functional areas of these upgrades,i would also love to see the the latest FHIR module under platform

@burke I would like to add my voice from the implementation side which I would say affects existing installations especially the national level ones

How can I:

1. More efficiently manage my concept dictionary which includes both CIEL and custom concepts
  2. Design data collection forms faster and those that look more like the current web design trends
  3. Design more complex forms/encounter interactions that include multiple steps that may be completed by different people such as immunisations, assessments etc
  4. Simplify Transformation of data from EAV to normalized formats for reporting and decision support
4 Likes

OCL and OCL for OpenMRS has been on the horizon since pre-historic OpenMRS days (see OpenMRS Concept Cooperative (OCC) and excellent contributions by @bwolfe).

This continues to be a necessity for the community. I would argue that now is the time based on frequent updates of the CIEL dictionary for COVID-19 and most recent work by the squad (shout-outs to @karuhanga @herbert24 @darius @akanter @paynejd @dkayiwa). Junior developers have been onboarded recently.

However this project continues to move slowly and needs attention – individual contributors and senior mentors with experience with OpenMRS, React, and/or TypeScript.

Let’s get this done. Wouldn’t it be great to have this complete and in use by the community (PIH, AMPATH, UgandaEMR, MSF, etc) in the next quarter???

3 Likes
  1. Better and more efficient management of concepts.
  2. FHIR module functional
  3. Easier and more efficient OpenMRS -> DHIS2 (or other aggregate data system)
3 Likes

Thus far, thanks to the work of many amazing community members and the leadership of community members like @dkayiwa, @ibacher, and @suthagar23 and others, there are some very meaningful updates we can expect for OpenMRS Platform 2.4 in 2020:

• An upgraded FHIR module (fhir2) bundled with the platform, supporting HL7 FHIR v4
  • Upgrade to Spring 5.2.6
  • Upgrade to Hibernate 5.4
  • Support for newer version of Java (Java 11, 13, and 14) while still supporting Java 8

Some parallel efforts we are tracking:

• The MF Squad is making good progress and I’ll work with them soon to define some 2020 goals
  • We’re developing a vision for ETL
  • The OCL Squad is making good progress and the broader OCL service & backend, under @paynejd’s leadership, OCL is undergoing some major improvements. We’re expecting OCL to bring some significant improvements to the OpenMRS Community in the 2nd half of 2020.
  • We’d love to upgrade to a newer version of Liquibase. Based on findings from @ibacher, this may mean targeting 3.1.1 for now and then waiting for 4.0 to be released before we upgrade to it.
  • Cheer on and support our GSoC 2020 students in their projects, which includes support for postgresql, additional upgrades to core libraries, work on FHIR support (search and narratives), and improving DHIS2 integration.
5 Likes

@wolf has already upgraded liquibase to version 3.8.9 as part of this ticket.

Based on the massive code reviews that have been done for @wolf’s pull request, and the manual test runs of the application so far done specifically to see the effects of his changes, all i can say is that this is almost done too!

7 Likes
5 Likes

Sounds like the FHIR squad just needs to deliver a functioning FHIR module and we’ll be able to push Platform 2.4 out the door :laughing:.

2 Likes