Google announced a new program called “Season of Docs” - Fostering open source collaboration with technical writers.
The goals of Season of Docs are to give technical writers an opportunity to gain experience in contributing to open source projects, and to give open source projects an opportunity to engage the technical writing community.
During the program, technical writers spend a few months working closely with an open source community. They bring their technical writing expertise to the project’s documentation, and at the same time learn about open source and new technologies.
The open source projects work with the technical writers to improve the project’s documentation and processes. Together they may choose to build a new documentation set, or redesign the existing docs, or improve and document the open source community’s contribution procedures and onboarding experience.
Together, we raise public awareness of open source docs, of technical writing, and of how we can work together to the benefit of the global open source community.
For more information: Introduction | Season of Docs | Google Developers
Example Project Ideas: Project ideas | Season of Docs | Google Developers
- Program announcement : March 11, 2019
- Organization applications : April 2, 2019 at 20:00 UTC
- Organizations announced : April 30, 2019 at 12:00 UTC
- Technical writer applications : May 29, 2019 at 18:00 UTC
- Technical writing projects announced : July 30, 2019 at 18:00 UTC
- Doc development : September 2, 2019
- Project finalization and evaluation : November 25 - 29, 2019 at 18:00 UTC
Since we participate in Google Summer of Code, and Google Code-in usually, it would be another opportunity for OpenMRS to improve the technical writing and documentation inside the community. So please be aware of the timeline, and let’s plan to apply for “Season of Docs” also