Season of Docs - Fostering open source collaboration with technical writers

@tendomart, I assume you mean wiki pages; there’s only one wiki.

Those are the pages to which I was referring. I didn’t make new content, I just moved your pages to the correct location in the wiki (in the Reources space). If you look at where they are located, they are now under the Mentorship & Outreach Programs page alongside GSoC, GCI, etc.

See also:

1 Like

Ah. I see that you’ve added more pages for GSoD. Notice how they are in the wrong location of the wiki:

I’ve moved these two additional pages under the main GSoD page as well. It might help to learn a bit more of how Confluence organizes its wiki pages. Confluence “Spaces” act almost as separate wikis within the wiki (scoping a set of pages). We’ve chosen to have only a few spaces within the OpenMRS wiki. Within any space, pages are organized in a tree hierarchy. We create a “Home” page for the top of this hierarchy in each space and then organize pages under that Home page.

New pages are created as a child of the page you are viewing when you click on the “Create” button. Ideally, you should be viewing the parent page for the new page when you click on the “Create” button. So far, it looks like you’ve create pages while viewing the main page for the wiki (i.e., home page for the Documentation space).

FYI – In the case of GSoD, just like GSoC pages, it can be a little tricky, because we use the {Include Page} macro to set the top page to the current year. If you go to the GSoD page, you are actually seeing the GSoD 2019 page. This becomes evident if you edit the GSoD page (you’ll just see a macro and not the content of the GSoD 2019 page you might expect). The organization can be seen in the sidebar:

or when viewing the page tree within the Resources space:

Any general information about GSoD that applies across all years (like the admin guide, responsibilities, etc.) belongs, along with a page for each year, under the top page for GSoD. Any information specific to a particular year of GSoD belongs under that year’s page (e.g., the timeline for GSoD 2019 is a child page of the GSoD 2019 page).

I’m going through past ideas for the DIAL Catalytic grant and came across @danfuterman’s suggestion below. Made me think of this discussion and how this kind of information could go into a volunteer guide…something to think about.

Volunteer Guides

Collate, update and create documentation to compile into a set of Volunteer Guides to support those taking on volunteer roles in the community, and reduce the overhead and dependency on mentors assisting new volunteers in these roles. This generally applies to those rolling volunteer roles identified through a “We’re looking for a … volunteer” post (release managers, scrum masters, product owners, internship administrators etc.).

A wealth of info already exists in the form of wiki pages, google docs, Talk posts, blogs and people’s minds, but there could be value in consolidating, developing and packaging this together as practical guides to help volunteers better understand the in and outs of these roles (i.e. the what’s , how’s , when’s and why’s ).

Side note : for this to be effective/sustainable in the long term these would need to be set up as living documents, with a key expectation for new volunteers in these positions to maintain and update the guide(s) with any new changes/learnings/challenges experienced.

1 Like

oh thanks for that @burke

thanks @burke for your guidance and correction :+1:

Hello @burke, @tendomart and @gcliff, we are kindly requesting for rights to the google GsoD folder as admin and co-admin . Thanks

Thanks for this @jennifer