Release process - Platform 2.3

Hello community, I am delighted to have been appointed as the Platform 2.3 release manager and happy to announce the already commenced process leading to the release. You don’t want to miss out being part of the contribution to this process, so feel free to volunteer in any of the areas below

• Developer
  • Point of contact
  • Testing
  • Documentation
  • Advise

There are a couple of issues that need to be fixed including those associated with the bundled modules. These need to be resolved as early as possible so there is enough time for testing before the final release. I’m therefore inviting the community to contribute to this achievement.

Do you want to roll through the dev stages? From the road map are some nice starters to contribute to.

Thanks to the @devs who are already making this a reality. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best regards

Ruhanga

3 Likes

good work man. i want to be like you when i grow up :hugs:

@ruhanga, it looks like feature Number three doesn’t match the description ticket attached to it.

1 Like

Sure @mozzy, thank you very much for pointing out this. I’m going to update this wiki page.

I would also like to welcome the community to suggest more desired features and bug fixes for platform 2.3. Thank you.

1 Like

thanks @ruhanga for the good work done:+1: and will like to contribute as dev on this

@ruhanga I will try to not forget, but if I do please don’t hesitate to remind me to document the wiki about the support for alternate authentication schemes.

Ref: TRUNK-381

Thanks for the heads up @gcliff . You can watch for more upcoming issues to fix and updates on progress @here and don’t hesitate to take on any other task you are comfortable with.

Thank you @mksd. I will ping you for a reminder.

@ruhanga When will you have your first Release meeting ?

1 Like

Thank you @c.antwi, I am designing a schedule for the meetings around the release process that will take place atleast every once a week. Since this has’t been part of the recent past experiences of release managers, I will update our events calendar with effect from next week to reflect these meetings so community input can be leveraged as much as possible towards the final release.

1 Like

@ruhanga any progress on designing the meetings shedule?

Hi I believe the meeting is scheduled for 6pm UTC this evening?

@mozzy, there is going to be a design call today at 9:00pm EAT to discuss Platform performance improvements. You are welcome to join. Please also note that release process discussions have a time slot during the Office Hours on Wednesday 3:00pm - 5:00pm EAT (12pm - 2pm UTC). You are welcome as well to join every week at that time.

Best regards

Nathan

1 Like

Hi @ruhanga

Could I please get an update on activities for this Release:

1. Activities for the week
  2. Blockers
  3. Mitigation plan
  4. Proposed activities for the next week .

Kindly note you will need to present this at the next PM call on Monday

Thanks

3 Likes

Thank you very much @c.antwi. Sorry for the delayed response.

This is the summary of the current release process activities currently.

1. Activities for the past week have been around figuring potential library versions to be upgraded to for the different libraries that Platform depends on. Here is a google sheet with potential libraries to upgrade. The Apache velocity engine library is already being worked on.

2. No blockers currently

3. Determine what library upgrades get precedence.

4. This weeks activities include having tasks curated to upgrade the chosen libraries.

@ruhanga though you can do this yourself, but as the release manager, you could simply mobilise community resources to do those things. That way, the whole burden does not fall on you.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @dkayiwa for the kind advise. :slight_smile:

@ruhanga Could you provide us with a Release schedule indicating which module/ feature is being working on when? We have about 6 weeks till the completion of the release cycle, meaning that all works should be completed at the latest 24th May 2019.

1 Like

Hi @c.antwi, here is a resource page that tracks the details already https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/Platform+2.3.0+Release+Management+Page .

1 Like

well done @ruhanga. though you should surely involve the whole community in geting this done as @dkayiwa suggests