Hackathon Contribution

Hello everyone!

Me and my fellow engineers would like to contribute to OpenMRS - but in a somewhat special way.

I work for an IT engineering company based in Switzerland (ipt[DOT]ch) and we are planning to have an internal hackathon where around 10 of our engineers will work in close collaboration with maintainers of an open source project, and submit contributions over the course of 3 days. We are a team of senior engineers in infrastructure, backend, security and frontend matters.

We are seeking open source projects that serve a greater purpose, and aim to make the world a somewhat better place. In our search, we found OpenMRS.

We are currently considering 3 projects as candidates for the hackathon in summer 2023, including OpenMRS. We are in the process of reaching out to them in order to figure out which ones would be interested, such that we can hopefully end up picking one.

Just to be perfectly clear: Although we are backed by our employer, should you be interested, you would incur no costs! We are doing this because we want to support the Open Source mentality and induce positive impact with our skill set. Moreover, this would not be a marketing event, thus we cannot provide any exposure for OpenMRS.

Finally, since I am convinces this would require some organizational efforts, it would be great to have dedicated contact person to set things up with and discuss potential use cases for such a contribution.

Greetings, Matt :raising_hand_man:

2 Likes

perharps @christine , @jennifer or @grace would help

@matth Welcome to the community! We’re glad you discovered OpenMRS and thought of us for this internal hackathon. It sounds like a great idea - and the timing is good as well.

If you haven’t seen it yet, I suggest checking out our Guide for the New & Curious. Another option: in February, we’re hosting an informational webinar for newcomers that is designed to help you get to know our community, how we’re organized, and the different tools & technology used to make contributions to OpenMRS. If you’re interested in joining this webinar, please share your preference for dates via this Talk thread.

About potential use cases: We’re currently brainstorming projects for GSoC and our 2023 Fellows. We do this openly on Talk for a few weeks and then hone in on a few that have high value for OpenMRS implementers on the ground. We can both piggy back on those existing efforts or put out a specific call for hackathon as we’ve done for past Hackathons.

About a dedicated contact person, the technical point person will vary, depending on the use case or project that your internal hackathon will work through. In the meantime, our Global Events Manager @christine can help organize things - and connect you with the right people and documentation to get things set up, etc as the potential use cases emerge and take shape.

Happy to have you here - and please reach out with any questions!

If we had our ducks in a row (e.g., a strategy migrating to SSO) and were ready to migrate our wiki and/or JIRA to Atlassian Online, it would be great to have a team of people with a few days to perform & validate the migration. But that’s probably wishful thinking on my part and @cintiadr might think it’s an awful idea. :slight_smile:

@burke That was one of the ideas that came to my mind, too. :slight_smile:

Hi all, thanks for the nice welcoming and general openness to our idea! We will definitely look into the provided resources and see if we find something that would make sense to take into consideration. :slight_smile:

Hey @matth,

I thought you might be interested in an upcoming community session that focuses on onboarding newbies and answering any questions they may have about the OpenMRS community.

If interested, you are welcome to join us tomorrow at 6:30 pm IST | 4 pm Nairobi | 3 pm Cape Town | 1 pm UTC| 8 am Boston | 5 am Seattle.

To get access to the link, click on this link.

Here is the post with more details: 2023-02-09:Newcomers Orientation Session

1 Like