GSOD 2020:Technical writer exploration phase now open

Are you a technical writer interested in taking part in Season of Docs 2020? Please explore the list of our project ideas here https://wiki.openmrs.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=235275064. If any of the projects interests you, drop a comment here so as we start fleshing out your project proposal. You can explore more than one project, and when the technical writer application phase opens you can submit more than one project proposal, but only one proposal will be accepted.

The exploration phase runs from May 11 to June 8. Take a look at the technical writer guidelines for this phase. You can submit your project proposals to Season of Docs when the technical writer application phase opens on June 9. See the full timeline on the Season of Docs website.

cc @yash29x @vibhorchinda17

4 Likes

Thank you @herbert24 for creating this post. I am interested in these projects

1. Developing a Suite of Volunteer Guides
  2. Developing Tools and Processes for Maintaining OpenMRS Documentation.
1 Like

Hello everyone, My name is Chaytanya Sinha,an IT undergrad from Bangalore,INDIA I am an active open source contributor looking forward to contribute to OpenMRS’s documentation. I am experienced in c/c++,java,javascript,nodejs and spring. I went through Guide and I have cloned the repository . I am interested in Extending User Friendly Github Documentation for REST API and Developing Tools and Processes for Maintaining OpenMRS Documentation

1 Like

Thanks @herbert24 for tagging. I would love to work and explore more on these projects -

1. Developing Tools and Processes for Maintaining OpenMRS Documentation
  2. Developing a Suite of Volunteer Guides

I found the Trello board and hoping to start soon. Thanks

1 Like

@herbert24 can you please specify what do we mean by work samples in the eligibility section of the wiki. Has it got to be specifically a documentation of any open Source project ?

1 Like

it simply means some of the works you have ever made under documentation,it can be out of an open source project

1 Like

Hi @herbert24, I am a technical writer with a computer science background. I am interested in the REST API project.

1 Like

Hey @herbert24. I have a question to ask: I don’t have any formal technical writing experience. but I have experience writing docs for other open-source organizations as well as decent experience with markdown, Jekyll and sphinx. Can I be considered under GSoD?

P.S.- I believe every engineer is a technical writer in some sense :smiley:

1 Like

Yes you can,if your proposal is good enough

1 Like

Hello @herbert24!
i am intrested in working on Developing a Suite of Volunteer Guides

1 Like

Thanks Everyone for getting interested in Technical GSOD and we are warmly pleased for your interest and wish all the best, My appeal is to also take time and look through some of the tickets that lacks documentation and upgrade them where neccessary. Am also trying to converge some of the documents to cover up some tickets but as we go along ,feel free to look through those tickets and have some updates because they are really needed feel free to ask questions.But otherwise wish you all the best. cc @herbert24 @jennifer @jwnasambu

2 Likes

Hello all!

I have been taking a review through the issues on the Trello board but i got kinder confused. I was able to observe that the issues there are partitioned into Backlog, Up Next, WIP, Completed and Documentation Goals.

Among-est these divisions, which division has issues that are ready to be worked upon? And how can i comment on the issue that has interested me, to seek for help from the reporter, in case i haven’t understood a certain aspect clearly. How can i even assign the issue to myself as it is done on JIRA?

cc @herbert24, @jennifer @jwnasambu @sharif

The Backlog consists of all the proposed issues/cards to be worked on. Issues in Up next state have due dates coming up soon or are recently overdue and WIP state someone is working on the card/issue or has submitted for review purposes and once its done per the ticket description, its marked complete by the reviewer. To be able to assign yourself a card, ask @jennifer to grant you access to the trello board. Select any ticket from the backlog or Up next state. Hope that help you to get started.

1 Like

Thanks @jwnasambu for the help!

should i use talk to ask her or there is another platform i should use?

You can PM her.

1 Like

@jnsereko, a good place to start may be some of the tickets that @sharif brought to our attention that need documentation. These aren’t on the Trello board (yet). @sharif, can you point us in the direction of those tickets?

1 Like

Thanks @jennifer , here are some to begin with, Mean while i will be updating with some other tickets in different modules that need to be updated

2 Likes

Thanks @sharif @jennifer . Let me check try out some of them.

Hi @herbert24 I am interested in working with these projects

1. Developing a Suite of Volunteer Guides
  2. Developing Tools and Processes for Maintaining OpenMRS Documentation.

Hi I have gone through the projects ideas mentioned and I’m interested in these projects.

1. Extending User Friendly Github Documentation for REST API
  2. Developing Tools and Processes for Maintaining OpenMRS Documentation

Initially I would like to work on some warm up challenges and I have found this https://trello.com/c/F3eXPdXE/4-review-and-finalize-resources-space-ia in Trello

Will that be good to go or do you suggest any other initial tasks that I can work on ? Can you help me @sharif @jennifer @herbert24 @jwnasambu ?

Thank you