We are seeking mentors as well as projects for GSoC 2017 as we prepare our organization application for Google Summer of Code 2017, which is due by 9 February.
The goal of GSoC is to give students an excellent experience in open source development, leading them to become lifelong productive open source coders. In return for investing in mentorship, OpenMRS has been blessed with many incredible returns on this investment! Some of it has been in code, but the best has been people: @nyoman, @surangak, @maany, @raff, @k.joseph, @jordan, @maurya, @harsha89, @bholagabbar, and @ivange94 to name just a few.
As we have for the past decade, we want to put together an awesome list of mentors & projects for GSoC this year to attract the best students into long-lasting open-source careers while writing code & saving lives with OpenMRS!
GSoC projects can be new modules/projects or involve enhancements or new features for an existing module/project.
Attributes of a great GSoC project
- Must involve coding and be OpenMRS-related
- Clear objectives
- A minimal viable product can be completed in 6-8 weeks (allowing time for bug fixing, documentation, and getting to production).
Meaningful contributions to the community
- Involvement of at least one motivated product owner (e.g., implementation) eager to use the project's output
Do you have ideas for potential GSoC projects? Please let us know.
Let's get the discussions going. Our goal is to have many projects fleshed out as
gsoc2017-labeled project pages by 9 Feb.
Mentors (thus far, add your name here if you can mentor)
Ideas that need work
- Use Google's TensorFlow to determine if a cancer tumor is benign or malign (very simple ML application)
- Add xyz feature to Patient Dashboard in the reference application. (@ssmusoke should fill in which feature!)
- Support standard model for recording "Medication Dispensed" in the EMR API module (or in its own new module): introduce a standard way to record that drugs were dispensed to the patient, storing this as obs. Provide REST and FHIR APIs for this. Add (simple) support for this in the reference application.
- we are thinking this year's GSoC prototyping on a generic cross over reporting tool/platform for all default and user's additional metrics within reporting periods such as; monthly, quarterly, daily, annually etc into DHIS and any other future similar softwares we wish to communicate to, i hope to propose this project preferably next week
- OCL Subscription module should support concept attributes
@raff are there other things we'd put together with this in an "OCL Subscription module improvements" project? (@raff: no more improvements needed at the moment, concept attributes alone is not enough for a GSoC project)