GCI 2019: How to become a Finalist of Google Code in?

Hi Kids,

We hope you all are busy with your tasks and regular activities. I would like to write some practices to become the finalist or winners in Google Code-in.

Important Dates

• Tuesday, January 21st 18:00 UTC - Deadline for GCI students to claim their final task

• Thursday, January 23rd 18:00 UTC - Deadline for GCI students to submit their work:

Winners and Finalists

• We will select 2 Grand Prize winners, 2 Runners Up, and 2 Finalists.

These 6 students will all be considered as out finalists and will all receive the GCI jacket and a special certificate. Grand Prize Winners will receive a four day trip for themselves and a parent/legal guardian to Google headquarters in California in June.

We will choose our Grand Prize Winners, Runners Up, and Finalists based on the comprehensive body of work the student completed in the contest period from December 2, 2019 to January 23, 2020. As stated in the Contest Rules: Each entry will be judged according to the following factors: creativity, thoroughness, and quality of work. The Organization may additionally factor the contestant’s involvement in the Organization’s community in the judging.

Students who have been Grand Prize Winners in the past are not eligible to be winners again. They can be named as Runners Up and Finalists.

Best Practices to become a Finalist?

• Student should have completed a considerable amount of tasks from all types of tasks (At least 4 types).
  • Quality and Weight of the tasks will be considered among other completed tasks.
  • Student should be involved in community activities such as discussions, bugs fixing, issues finding and talk activities.
  • Student should have a mind of helping others in the community as well as GCI Channels.
  • Student should follow all the rules and regulations of GCI, and the culture of OpenMRS.
  • Student should not have any observed plagiarism issues or major copyright issues in the past.
  • So we don’t expect you to have a large number of completed tasks, you should also have a good quality of work.
  • Student should have a less amount of abandoned tasks (You may have, but it should be reasonable)

Just for your information, What will happen if you copied some one’s work?

• We will not accept your submission.
  • You will be notified among the mentors, and your tasks will be reviewed very clearly after that.
  • Most of the time, You can’t be a winner even you are the topmost student with a huge number of completed tasks ( As I said above, Number of completed tasks are not important - We needs a number of quality in your work )
  • In some cases, we will inform to Google then you will be removed from Google Code-in and you can’t get any gifts from Google anymore!

So, please do the tasks in your own way (Good or worst - Do it your self and submit). We are here as mentors to review and improve your skills.

Be more active guys…! Don’t miss the prizes :partying_face:

9 Likes

Hi @suthagar23 Thanks for your suggestions. Learning a lot from GCI. :grinning:

Does getting more work needed more time effect. @suthagar23

Thanks for suggestations :smile:

1 Like

Not at all, that’s the meaning of doing a high quality work :smile:

1 Like

thanks for the suggestions :smiley:

ok :grinning:

Thanks for the information! I’m sure everyone will do their best, all the way until the contest ends and even beyond that.

2 Likes

This is the ultimate goal. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good luck Everyone. :wink:

Claiming ready for work issues in Jira is the way to go, I think. Just… do whatever you can :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @suthagar23 for suggestions. We will definitely follow it.

Yes you are write

Definitely this is an ultimate . We all are giving our best to do for it.

Thanks for the suggestions :smile: best of luck to everyone!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

Plagiarism - What will happen, If I copied some one’s work?

Hi Students,

I hope, you all are very busy with the tasks as we are reaching the last two weeks of the period. We already clearly mentioned in several places that, we don’t accept copied works or plagiarism. Please don’t think about copying someone else work and submit it again.

Just for your information, What you will get if you copied some one’s work?

• We will not accept your submission.
  • You will be notified among the mentors, and your tasks will be reviewed very clearly after that.
  • Most of the time, You can’t be a winner even you are the topmost student with a huge number of completed tasks (As I said above, Number of completed tasks are not important - We needs a number of quality in your work)
  • In some cases, we will inform to Google then you will be removed from Google Code-in and you can’t get any gifts from Google anymore!

So, please do the tasks in your own way (Good or worst - Do it your self and submit). We are here as mentors to review and improve your skills.

Good luck guys!

3 Likes

We definitely keep it in mind

Yes sir, plagiarism is a very negative practice both professionally and socially. Thanks for the heads up.

True! The main purpose of this programme is to learn new stuff, and plagiarism is totally the opposite of it.

2 Likes