GCI - 2018 : Plans, Proposals, and open invite to join in!

Hey! I’d love to mentor young generation this GCI 2018 under OpenMRS. I have previously been GSoC’18 mentor at Systers. Are the mentorship applications still open?

My GitHub Profile Link - https://github.com/kanmodi

Hi @suthagar23, I had recently interned at Bahmni as part of the Outreachy programme and I would love to put my learnings and experience to good use by mentoring for Google Code-in 2018. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is there a separate Telegram Channel for GCI ?

Yea there are multiple channels for GCI separate from the general OpenMRS chat. I’ve added you to both :slight_smile:

I want to volunteer my time for mentor-ship, I am looking to learn and serve as well with young coders.

Hi all, I am Sukhbir Singh. Recently, I have completed my GSoC 2018 as a student with Amahi org. I am very much interested to become mentor for Google Code In 2018 program with OpenMRS. Right now, the mentorship form posted above give me limited mentors message. So, please if there is even a small possibility for mentorship count me in. I have more than enough time to contribute as mentor for GCI.

My Github Profile: https://github.com/sukhbir-singh

GSoC Project Link: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6139448354406400

Happy to be a part of this community !! :smiley:

Hi everyone,

Since we can able to extend the number of mentors up to 30, we decided to add more mentors to the OpenMRS - Google Code-in 2018 this year. So the newcomers who still not complete the mentor invite form, please use the following link to complete the registration form.

P.S : We might go through your interest and contributions during the selection process if we have more requests for the mentors this year :smile: So please complete the mentor invite form before 25th since we need to move forward.

Cc : @rbhatia46 @kushmisra @gsoni22 @kanmodi @smartyrad @tahirramzan1 @sukhbir947

I just added a mentor agreement to the GCI Mentor invitation form as follows,

• I will be active in the OpenMRS Talk thread, Telegram and IRC as well as the Google Code-in dashboard.
  • I will be active in the mentor discussions during the contest time, and will be active until the contest end.
  • I will help to the students as much as possible and share my knowledge and ideas among them to guide them.
  • I will follow the contest rules and admin instructions to continue the Google Code-in directly towards the successful event.

I hope, the mentors who already filled the registration form will accept these instructions forever :smile: and sorry for the late changes!

2 Likes

Hey @suthagar23, thank you so much for extending the number of mentors. I just filled the Google form. I am quite sure that I will give my best to mentor students, if given a chance and being well versed with the technologies your org works on. I am new to OpenMRS but yeah I am personally interested towards healthcare so look for being a long term contributor to OpenMRS in future, since it synchronizes well with my tech stack. :smile:

1 Like

@suthagar23 Thanks a lot for extending mentorship limit. I have filled the Google form. I am willing to give more than 5 hours each week for GCI program and wanted to become an active member of the community.

Btw, telegram invitation link is not working.

You should have installed Telegram on your mobile!

Thanks @suthagar23. Will fill the application form! :slight_smile:

Hi @suthagar23 I would like to be part of this organisation by mentoring some project. My strengths include strong grip over c++ and python. I have been contributing in EBIvariations vcf-validator since February. I have good command over git and build-systems. It would be my pleasure to work with this organisation.

Folks unless you’re already actively contributing to OpenMRS prior to approaching to mentor, I would advise that the admins NOT approve you.

Not properly vetting mentors is a recipe for a bad time.This comes from years of experience with Google Code-in.

Hi all,

Since we got about 36 requests for the GCI mentor ship, we are working on the selection process. Hopefully we can complete and release the list of finalized mentors by tomorrow. Immediately after that, We will invite you to the Google Code-in dashboard through the email invites to work on the tasks.

Thanks.

Hello, I found this page a little late I suppose. I would love to be a mentor at GCI. I was a mentor for GSOC at Systers and would love to continue in that vein.

My GitHub profile can be found at https://github.com/naman1901

Hi @naman1901

Welcome to OpenMRS :slight_smile:. Have you seen of these instructions before :GCI - 2018 - Official Mentor's list for Google Code-in 2018

You also have not so much as forked a single OpenMRS repository. That’s not useful for mentoring with OpenMRS. Do not approach projects you don’t already have a track record of contributions with to mentor in programs like GCI. You are however encouraged to start contributing now – check out Get Started as a Developer - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki