We just finalized the OpenMRS mentor list for Google Code-in 2018. Unfortunately, we received about 36+ requests for the mentors, and then we worked on filtering the requests.
We prepared a common mentor selection criteria for Google Code-in and selected the mentors based on that criteria. Please look into the mentor selection criteria here,
Mentor Selection Criteria
- Mentors should have a considerable contribution and interaction with OpenMRS prior to the GCI Mentorship
- Mentors can be a previous GSoC student, GSoC Mentor, GCI Winner or Finalist, GCI Mentor, Andela Apprentices, Outreachy contestants, or active community member in OpenMRS
- Mentors should have experience in assisting with technical and non-technical issues
- Mentors should have OpenMRS Talk account and access to the OpenMRS JIRA
- Mentors should have already interacted with other community members, and they should be active in the talk thread by helping others in several ways
- At least, mentors should have some contributions to the OpenMRS Core or OpenMRS modules in the past time
- dev/1 or greater in OpenMRS community
Based on the given criteria, We were able to select 24 mentors for this year Google Code-in contest. The selected mentor’s list is given below,
Mentor List - GCI 2018
- Burke Mamlin (@burke)
- Daniel Kayiwa (@dkayiwa)
- Kaweesi Joseph (@k.joseph)
- Reuben Varghese (@reubenv)
- Isuranga Perera (@isuranga)
- Juliet Wamalwa (@jwnasambu
- Lahiru Jayathilake (@lahiruj)
- Tendo Martyn (@tendomart)
- Dileka Madushan (@madushan)
- Sanatt Abrol (@mavrk)
- Jai Tatia (@jtatia)
- Samuel Male (@samuel34)
- Jeyasumangala Rasanayagam (@sumangala28)
- Prabodh Kotasthane (@pkatopenmrs)
- Fawwaz Yusran (@f4ww4z)
- Jude Niroshan (@judeniroshan)
- Gayan Weerakutti (@gayanw)
- K.Suthagar (@suthagar23)
- Yusuf Karim (@ykarim250)
- Shreyans Sheth (@bholagabbar)
- Ungku Zoe Anysa Ungku Faiz (@uzanysa)
- Mira Yang (@myang4570
- Chanuka Wijayakoon (@merovingienne)
- Smarita Sharma (@smartyrad
Congratulations to everyone . We would expect you to be an active mentor during the contest to make this success!
This year we have about 45.5% (10 out of 24) new mentors on the mentor list.
We have about 68.2% (16 out of 24) mentors who can work more than 4hours per week during the contest. There are no limitations, so you can work more also
We have mentors who can cover for 3 major time zones but we missed having mentors for GMT-12 to GMT-6. So the active mentors need to cover this time zone also
What is next?
We will send a mentor invite for your email ID. Once you register through the mentor email invite, you can able to create the tasks in the Google Code-in dashboard. Please use this link to see the existing tasks for GCI-18 : https://om.rs/gcitasks
We would like to assign a set of mentors to each category. So they will be responsible for those type of tasks and they should make sure about the task reviews and approvals. So please fill this following mentor’s interest form to assign you to a category.
Just a message for the people who applied and still not selected as the mentors from the OpenMRS
Don’t worry much about this! We expect you need to be an active member in OpenMRS and need some contributions or interactions prior to this mentorship. The organization and the admins are responsible for the Google Code-in contest and the guidance, and we need to make sure about the mentor’s commitments who need to be eligible for the mentorship under the OpenMRS.
We expect you to involve into the OpenMRS development, and start to contribute today. So then, you can be a mentor for GCI even GSoC in next year!!. Thanks for your interest and likes to contribute as a mentor for OpenMRS. Good luck guys!!