GCI 2015 participant & mentor virtual meet-and-greet

Greetings to prospective participants in Google Code-in at OpenMRS! Just like we do in our main “introduce yourself” topic here on OpenMRS Talk, we’d love to hear from you to learn:

• Where you’re from,
  • What you found interesting about Google Code-in and/or OpenMRS,
  • If you participated in Google Code-in last year, and
  • Some of your interests (technology or otherwise!)

We look forward to getting to know you and all the other participants over the next few months!

14 Likes

Hi, I am from the Czech Republic and hopefully I will be participating in GCI. On GCI I found interesting that I will get experience of working on the big Open Source project. I participated in GCI last year, but I don’t have a lot of time, so I finished only two tasks. But it will be better this year :wink:. I started my programming journey by making web pages. Then I moved to 3D graphics and from it to making computer games and android apps.

By the way do you have any tips to do or resources, which I can read to get more information about OpenMRS and its development before GCI started? Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi guys, I am Harsha, Software Engineer from Colombo Sri Lanka. I am participating GCI 2015 as a mentor for OpenMRS. I was a mentor for GSoC/GCI programs past year and love to be a part of this open source community which serves for a good cause. I am more of a mobile guy (Android is my favorite platform) although i have interest in java server side technologies as well. Looking forward to work with you guys in next two months. Cheers! :smile:

3 Likes

Hi, I am from Canada and I am participating in GCI 2015! I think that participating in GCI will give me valuable experience in working on Open Source Projects and will allow me to make a meaningful contribution to the Open Source Communites. This will be my first year in GCI, so I am very excited. I started learning programming around 2 years in my high schools computer science courses. This will be my first time using those skills in a real world setting!

Looking forward to the whole event!

2 Likes

Hello all! I’m Daphne and I am from Pennsylvania. This will be my first year participating in Google Code In. I’m hoping that I will be able to gain computer science skills and become familiar with open source development. I was drawn to OpenMRS in particular because I’m hoping to go into medicine, so it’s awesome to have the chance to work on a project in the health care realm.

Good luck everyone! :smile:

2 Likes

I’m Robby O’Connor From New York – I am one of the mentors for this year. I have previously been a Google Summer of Code Student with OpenMRS in 2008-9 and Sahana in 2010. I have since been a mentor for Google Summer of Code in one form or another all years from 2011 onwards except 2013. I have mentored Google Code-In since its inception.

Currently, I manage and maintain OpenMRS ID. One of the tasks for Google Code-In this year is a much needed thing: Quality Assurance so that we can release 2.1 (a major overhaul which will improve stability). For reference and a shameless plug, this is the task.

:heart: :openmrs:

1 Like

Hi I am Mayank. I am a GCI-2015 mentor. I am working with OpenMRS as the Platform 2.0 Release manager and Developer Tools Manager. I did a GSoC project with OpenMRS this summer as well. I would like to welcome all the GCI students to the community I’m looking forward to work with you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Heidi, and I’m from California. I’ve participated in Google Code-In for the past three years. Last year, I worked on tasks for OpenMRS ID. I mostly do front-end work, and I look forward to working with OpenMRS again!

2 Likes

Hi!

I’m Ramee and am participating in the GCI from Australia, this is my first time and am without confidence in my coding ability haha. I hope to contribute some front-end code hopefully and am excited to be part of the OpenMRS mission.

2 Likes

Just be willing to learn! We’re here to help you learn…that’s one of the most rewarding aspects for us as the mentors…when we can help you learn and love programming :wink:

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Zoe (uzanysa) from Malaysia. I was a GCI 2014 Participant and now GCI 2015 Mentor. GCI and OpenMRS taught me that in open source, code undeniably plays a fundamental role but there are also many other ways that anyone with any skill set can contribute to the community. When I started GCI 2014, I stuck to non-coding based tasks because I had zero coding experience. After awhile, mentors and participants of the OpenMRS community encouraged me to try simple coding tasks and with their guidance I managed to complete tasks I never thought I’d be able to. I hope you guys learn something new and enjoy GCI with OpenMRS too! :openmrs: :grin:

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m Harsha Kumara from Sri Lanka. This is my 2nd time to be a GCI mentor. It was a great experience me to work with young kids with GCI. Every piece of contribution to OpenMRS will help thousands of people to make their life better. Looking forward to have a awesome GCI with OpenMRS

Thanks, Harsha

2 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Sanjay and I’m originally from Boston, MA in the United States. Google Code-in interests me because of the unique opportunity it offers to be able to participate in an open source community and gain valuable experience as a teenager. I am choosing to work with OpenMRS because it helps people in developing countries which I think is a great cause. I have participated in Google Code-in for the last two years and am excited to participate again this year. Last year I was disappointed because I was a finalist with the Mifos Initiative but did not win the Grand Prize, so this year I plan to work even harder to earn the trip to Google. Academically, I am interested in computer science and astrophysics. I enjoy reading, watching movies, and playing soccer/football. I love sports and am an avid supporter of the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, Boston Bruins, New England Revolution, and FC Barcelona.

3 Likes

Hi guys. I’m Chaitya Shah. I’m from New Jersey, USA, but I go to Georgia Tech, a university in Atlanta, Georgia. I am a mentor for GCI this year and am excited to welcome a new set of students to OpenMRS. I was a Grand Prize Winner of GCI with OpenMRS last year, so I am willing to answer any questions that anyone has. Feel free to reach out to me on IRC/Telegram @cshah

Or… if you’re feeling fancy - npm install chaityabshah

3 Likes

Hey! I hail from China and I hope to work with openMRS in this years GCI! I really do admire the idea of openMRS, bringing usable electronic health care systems to those who need it(we could use some of that here in my country). This is my first time doing so so there’s a lot to learn. Super excited!

3 Likes

Hello, I’m from Montevideo, Uruguay and I’m excited about participating on GCI 2015. One of the things I found interesting about GCI is how it introduces you to the world of open source. With the help of mentors and other student participants you learn how to contribute in open source projects. What got my interest in OpenMRS was how I could learn programming while helping society at the same time. Some of my interests are football (or soccer depending where you live in), videogames, and programming. I’m looking foward in contributing to OpenMRS.

3 Likes

Hello, And very cheerful morning to everyone , iam ATUL KUMAR BARIK AND I AM from Odisha,INDIA and i go to Kendriya vidyalaya Balasore and i’m participating in GCI and this is my 1st time and am really excieted about it. The intersting thing about GCI is that as a tech fan i 'm getting many things to LEARN Right now i 'm a beginner in c++ and in future iam looking forward to work as software engineer… THANK YOU

1 Like

I am from Marlboro, New Jersey. I found Google Code-in interesting because I can get a trip to Google’s headquarters. I didn’t participate last year. I am interested in books and school.

4 Likes

Hi! I am Ethan Tien, a 17 year old developer from New Jersey. I enjoy competitions and developing, and I enjoy playing around with computers, especially programming. Some interests of mine include music, computers, and gaming. I participated in Google Code-in last year and loved it! I will participate again this year so I can contribute to the wonderful community of OpenMRS, where I can learn more about open source programming and do what I can to help out at the same time!

3 Likes