Hi Everyone,
My use case happens to be adding a patient portal to the already existing Bahmni platform; this simply means a typical patient owns his/her health record and has the right to share them.
I was wishing to find out if any body here has done some work on this and how can i go about implementing my use case.
@leroi I’ve a similar requirement and its on my ‘To-Do’ list. I’m looking forward to get some ideas on how to go proceed with the implementation of patient portal.
Currently Bahmni doesn’t have any interface for patients to see their “own” data only. All interfaces are designed towards the health provider to see the patient data as a dashboard / snapshot.
There are of course Bahmni / OpenMRS APIs that can expose patient data (and visits/encounters/observations), which could be leveraged to build this UI – but one will also need to think about how to generate a patients’ username & password – plus how to give authorization for the patient to only see their record. I don’t think OpenMRS Backend has the ability to give authorization at record level.
@leroi currently I’m focusing some other important stuff like multi-tenant architecture development and can’t say exactly when will I pickup the patient portal development task. Our requirements are similar but patient portal for my application will involve a slight different architecture.
A note on the PHR module wiki page you linked to says “still under construction” and the wiki page was last updated in 2012. I would expect that this module is (a) not built to run against modern versions of OpenMRS (including Bahmni), and (b) is not finished.
My understanding is that adding a patient-facing portal will be low on the core Bahmni team’s roadmap, since they are most interested in lower-resource settings, where the number of patients who would be able to practically access their own records is vanishingly small.
However a patient-facing portal would really be a separate standalone application on top of the same database, so it would be very possible for someone outside of the Bahmni core team to build this. (If you had access to developers, you could make this happen.)
I also know that there’s a Colombian company called Vitalbox (
http://www.vitalbox.com/) that has created a personal health record on top
of OpenMRS, again, I don’t know if it would work on Bahmni. You could try
and reach out to them.
I would imagine that that would be a different app which would possibly consume the APIs are just simply list down reverse chronological order of visits and encounters.
We built one for another context, (not over openmrs or bahmni) - just a shell app which uses APIs of EMR to get info and render accordingly. You can have a separate db for user access and use a trusted-subsystem-model (e.g. JDBC DB connection) to fetch info.
Since this is a top hit on Google for “Bahmni Patient Portal”, wanted to provide an update on the recent work done by @nupoor10 under Code4GovTech to build a React based patient portal for Bahmni. See this page with screenshots: