Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hey guys! Nice to meet you all,

I’m Kristy, I’m a Junior Computer Science major over in California who’s both interested in GSoC 2014 and the opportunity to write code and help save lives. I’m new to open source development but I’m excited about being able to collaborate with a community that is as inviting as this one.

I’m familiar with a few different languages (Java/JavaScript/Python/SQL) and have a general understanding of algorithms but my real assets lie in my resourcefulness and outright dedication to wanting to solve problems.

Additionally, when I’m not playing around with code or reading/playing around with technology, I like to spend time reading and writing or just going on adventures with my friends and family to the beach/forest.

Kristy

2 Likes

Hi, I am Llewellyn and completely new to this. Could somebody please point me to the right group to pose questions on what alternatives exists to OpenMRS , if someone is looking for an EHR that will bridge the gap between Public and Private HealthCare?

2 Likes

I would use the OpenMRS Answers site for asking questions like that. Also, I am working in particular on a suite of PHR modules for a project at Regenstrief Institute. I’m happy to give you more information as we get a little further along (to a point where it actually works!).

1 Like

That looks like about one weekend’s worth of Diet Coke®. :smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m one of the founders of OpenMRS, and I serve today as the project lead. I try to help everyone else be successful in the community. :smile:

Thanks Mike for setting up new ways for us to communicate better with each other!

6 Likes

Hi all Am Matthew Ssemakadde an experienced OpenMRS implementer in Masaka(Uganda), who would wish to become a developer but lucks some basic development skills, I think I need a mentor any volunteer is welcome!!!

3 Likes

Hi Matthew! Good to hear from you. If you’d like to get some information on getting started as a developer and get connected with an OpenMRS Guide, just send us a note at community (at) openmrs.org and we can help make that happen. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi dear reader; Very interesting discussions indeed!!!

Am Kaweesi Joseph an under-graduate university student at present time, and yet an enthusiastic programmer in making though already coding!!! Am glad to be part of the OpenMRS team majoring in health basically.

i love robust reading or research in order to finish any task(s) i may be working on and this is helping me to learn at much haste and use several technologies for my atleast three years of advancing in Programming. I can now use to a greater degree several of J2EE technologies and i have designed several softwares alraedy and now majoring in open source develpoment currently with OpenMRS. i appreciate you all (devs) as my mentoring team most especially @dkayiwa :smile:

This summer am working on [Chart Search for Reference Application project][1] [1]: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/Chart+Search+for+the+Reference+Application as my GSoC 2014 project under the mentorship of @dkayiwa and Tobin. I think it is crutial for me to mention this also that am the OpenMRS release Manager for OMRS 1.11

THANKS regards k-joseph

3 Likes

Hi guys,

I’m Wiehwa Cheung, a sophomore student studying CS in Xi’an Jiaotong University, China, a GSoC2014 participant.

I’d like to tell you one fun fact about my name. That is “Wiehwa Cheung”, 张伟华 in Chinese. The latin-alphabet form of my first name is created by myself years ago, my original purpose is to mimic the pronounciation. But I found that not a single one will pronounce the "h“ in it. So when you say my name in this way, it sounds like 萎娃 in Chinese… which means a flaccid boy… I’m strong!!!

For a better illustration, here is the phonetic symbol of my name [weixuɑ]. The reason I change ‘wei’ into ‘wie’ is to deal with tone, because, you may know, different tone represents different characters in Chinese.

Ahhhhh… I should consult a native speaker first…

Cheers, Cheung

3 Likes

Hi All,

I’m Harsha Kumara from Sri Lanka. I just finished my degree in Computer Science and Engineering from University of Moratuwa. I have been involving with OpenMRS since 2013 and participated in GSoC 2013. I’m really happy to be a mentor at GSoC 2014 where I’m mentoring for develop Operation Theater Module for OpenMRS.

I really enjoyed by engaging various community activities such as fixing bugs and guiding new comers to familiar with the OpenMRS system. “Write Code Save Lives” the motto of OpenMRS development has impressed me at the very first time when I’m starting to contribute to the OpenMRS. Contributing to OpenMRS has become a leisure time activity of me. :).

In my leisure time I mostly likes to play badminton, computer games,travel and learn new things.

I’m currently working in WSO2 which Open Source Software Organization and try my best to be a core developer in meantime. I would like to mention that OpenMRS Community is So AWESOME!

Thanks, Harsha

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

My name is Steve and I am a student as part of the Google Summer of Code. Cosmin Ioan and Michael Seaton will be mentoring me as I help to develop a module in OpenMRS that helps users assess data quality.

I’m based in Seattle as a grad student studying climate change, so most of my programming work has been in scientific computing (running global climate models, analyzing satellite data and other datasets). From September 2013 - September 2014, I am working with Partners in Health, as an OpenMRS implementer, which is what got me involved with OpenMRS to begin with. I have seen that some people involved with OpenMRS are from Seattle, so I hope to run into you someday (maybe on the soccer pitch, at a coffee shop, or at a bar - my favorite non-grad student activities in the city) when I return.

I am definitely not a java expert so if anyone has great resources, please pass them on. I’ve been learning a lot by looking at and modifying existing code on my test database. The OpenMRS documentation and community also seem like incredible resources. Really looking forward to being involved with OpenMRS!

Steve

1 Like

Hi All

I am Sara Fatima, doing my Computer Science Engineering from Hyderabad, India. I have worked on De-Identified Patient Data Export Module last year. This summer, I am back with IHE-Interoperability Patient Administration Management Module, thanks to Google Summer of Code program!!

I am glad to be working with the OpenMRS community once again!

Regards Sara

1 Like

Hi all, I’m Aniketha,pursuing my bachelors degree in Information Technology(IT) from Keshav Memorial Institute of Technology (kmit),Hyderabad,India. This is my first year i am associated with OpenMRS.This summer i will be working on OpenMRS RegaDB Integration.

I am excited to work with OpenMRS community. 

Regards Aniketha

1 Like

Wiehwa,

Do you have a Dayan Zhanchi cube? Using these cubes and learning the OLL & PLL patterns of the CFOP method reduced my average 3x3 times from ~1:15-1:30 down to ~0:45-0:50. :smile:

2 Likes

I’m using Dayan Cube as well, but it’s Dayan IV Lunhui. However, my average 3x3 time is about 1:30… There’re so many formulas in CFOP :dizzy_face:

And a lot of my friends could solve a 3x3 in 30 seconds, I hate that…

2 Likes

Wiehwa,

I hope you had a happy 40th anniversary of the cube and managed to solve Google’s cube. :smile:

FYI – I have actually just started with the 4 Look Last Layer approach, which is far simpler. I’d make the cross, place it on the bottom, manually (slowly) solve the corners putting in the 2nd layer with each corner, then refer to the 4 Look Last Layer diagrams to orient edges, orient corners, then permute edges/corners to solve. It was slow at first, but after a couple days of simply forcing myself to use this method, I started to anticipate which move was needed and even learning a couple. At that point, I went through all 17 moves in 4LLL applying each to a solved cube (each one repeated will eventually re-solve the cube) until I could do all 17 without looking at the diagrams. Then I returned to solving a mixed up cube and applying the 4LLL moves. There was another day or so of needing to look back at the diagrams, but pretty soon I was able to solve the cube reliably under 90 seconds. With some practice, that soon became 40-50 seconds. I’m sure I could get faster by learning the full CFOP moves, but – like you – I’m overwhelmed at the number of them. Maybe someday. Anyway, I’d encourage you to try out the 4LLL approach. It looks harder than it actually is to get the 17 moves memorized (as you do, they’ll make more sense). Your times will improve dramatically. I promise. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Zak Rogoff, and I’m interested in getting involved in the OpenMRS community. I’m currently a campaigns manager at the Free Software Foundation, but in the past I’ve tried a bunch of different things relating to technology and/or trying to make the world better for people, including robotics, Internet freedom activism, and computer tutoring systems. My skills are in communications primarily, but I’ve got a degree in robotics engineering too, so I’m not afraid of computers.

I’m excited about OpenMRS because of the unique community that it makes, bringing together implementers in clinics and developers all over the world. I’m curious to learn the history of the project and get to know people. : D

3 Likes

~~ Oh, this 4 look approach is just what I’m using. My problem isn’t the last layer part… I can make it very fast…The real problem is the F2L part… I often mix up those formulas… Or actually it’s because of I havn’t practiced it for a long time… Ever since this semester, my schedule was filled all kinds of classes and homeworks :cry:

Alright, I need to come back to prepare my Assembly exams

My name is Karl Wurst and I am a Professor of Computer Science at Worcester State University in Worcester, MA, USA (about 80 km west of Boston.)

Our university has recently created a concentration in Software Development for our Computer Science majors, and I am one of the primary instructors for the courses in this concentration. I am currently on sabbatical (no teaching responsibilities) from June through December 2014 and my plan is to participate in OpenMRS to improve my somewhat outdated Software Engineering skills.

I have installed the development environment, built the openmrs-core code, and now I will begin looking for tickets that I can work on. I am excited that the 1.10 beta release is imminent, and hope that I can be of some help in that sprint. I am also very interested in the development, testing, integration, and release processes as a way of seeing “real-life” examples of many of the tools and technologies that I have been reading about, but not had any hands-on experience with.

I am also part of the Foss2Serve/POSSE (foss2serve.org) group that is encouraging faculty to have students participate in Humanitarian FOSS projects as part of their coursework, and have been doing that primarily with our senior project course with varying amounts of success. I would like to have my students participate in OpenMRS beginning with the Spring 2015 semester (January through May 2015.) I want to get familiar with the project myself, first, so that I can direct them.

I also want to use OpenMRS for examples in our courses on software process and management, and testing and QA. We also have an installed server instance that we hope to use for the Health Informatics course that we teach for our Nursing students so that they can get some hands-on time with an EMR system.

I’ve already learned a lot just by exploring and listening. I’m looking forward to learning even more by contributing.

5 Likes

Hi, I am Tim Nicholson. I am working with a number of hospitals and clinics in Nepal, but based at the United Mission Hospital in Tansen, Palpa, Nepal. This is about a nine hour drive from the capital, Kathmandu. Before coming to Nepal I worked, mainly as a programmer/developer for about 40 years at the University of Sydney in the Department of Mathematics, Basser Department of Computer Science, the central IT unit and the Timetabling Unit.

I am looking for IT solutions for institutions with very low financial resources. Furthermore, localisation has some interesting challenges with a local Calendar used here to express dates.

2 Likes