As some of you might already know, efforts have been going on to move the legacy UI to a module, the initial work was done by Tharunya this past summer as part of GSoC 2015, in the past couple of days i have been spiking on moving more components into the legacy UI module and in general assess the status of things, several jsps have already been moved and seem to be working as expected. Correct me if am wrong but i think the following things will stay in core:
- The installation and update wizard just because i think it is logical to do so.
- Home page and possibly the login page
- Nearly everything that is defined in web.xml should stay in core i.e context loaders, listeners servlets, filters, tag libraries etc because we can’t wire them into the webapp from modules after the servlet context is built. I think some filters and servlets can be moved but some might get blocked by TRUNK-4673
- Some beans in openmrs-servlet.xml like some resolvers, themeResolver, interceptors, json/xml marshallers because the rest module uses them and i think they need to be reused by other modules.
Below are some quick to do items:
- Move the legacyui branch to the openmrs space in github
- Remove some unnecessary files generated by module archetype e.e extension and point, service, dao and tests
Of course the tickets in the legacy UI module’s jira project need to be addressed, may be in a sprint
Some key questions that come to mind:
- Are we moving the header and footer?
- Are we moving all images, CSS and JS to the module? Except for the ones to be used for the pages that will remain in the platform