Tasks that need to be added to melange

Please list any jira issues that should be added to melange that are no longer there.

2 Likes

GCI-9 - Check bad code practices through Findbugs or Sonar and fix those issues.

1 Like

I’ve published some GCI-9 in melange. I don’t see many tasks like this though

1 Like

Will new documentation tasks be added to melange? There has only been 6 kinds of documentation tasks so far.

1 Like

@uzanysa what kind of tasks in documentation were you thinking about? Can you put some specifics here?

1 Like

I have a few Modulus-related tasks I have tried to add to Melange, but they need to be approved by an org admin before they’re visible on the site. Could one of the admins get that taken care of for me? Thanks :slight_smile:

The tasks in question are:

2 Likes

@elliot its done! Added those tasks

1 Like

@sunbiz

Tasks suggestions :smile:

1. Writing and documenting QA checklists
  2. Updating OpenMRS wikipedia articles update OpenMRS wiki pages (descriptions, instructions, screenshots).
  3. Hosting a google hangout explaining a part(module, functions etc) of OpenMRS to other gci students, a mentor and other people.
  4. Explaining OpenMRS to an audience and documenting it with a write up and photos.
  5. Documenting an interview with an implementer or a developer.

And a quick question about why the tasks listed are considered outreach tasks and not documentation tasks:

2 Likes

Perhaps we can add tasks that say “Choose a bug in JIRA and fix it”. Sahana usually has a lot of tasks like that. In terms of documentation
 we can have more tasks for improving wiki documentation (noticed there weren’t many of those) Or perhaps tasks to create developer crash-courses or other neat manuals that would help beginners (to OpenMRS or coding in general). I know that when I was first getting started with OpenMRS, I had noticed that the guide was geared towards developers in general. Maybe we can add a version for GCI/GSOC Students? Perhaps that task could even include adding in the tips seen here. Just some ideas. They can be worked on before GCI next year if we don’t make them into tasks.

3 Likes

I really like the idea of choosing a JIRA bug and fixing it, but run the risk of people (students) cherry-picking easy tasks.

Also, since most of us don’t know nearly as much as the folks that actually built the software, we run the risk of doing subpar work, and causing more people that didn’t sign up to be mentors to have to ‘review’ the work. And there would be dozens of these. Is it worth it?

2 Likes

In other tasks too, there is a risk that someone will take an easy work. But yes, we had previously thought about mentors :confused: Besides, I’m sure many of them are not register as mentors in Melange

I think it would be fun idea to make Gource visualization of all the commits in the core repository https://code.google.com/p/gource/ What do you think about this? :smiley:

1 Like