Starting my OpenMRS journey as Community Management Fellow πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’»

Very productive - that’s how I would like to describe November month. Had a fun time hosting the fellowship symposium, facilitating orientation sessions, joining global events call, working on the capstone project, and more.

Looking back on the November engagement :man_technologist:

Fellowship

On 15 November, I had a chance to host the Fellowship Symposium, and also for the very first time, I presented my fellowship journey. My thanks to my fellow colleagues from this cohort (@hadijah315, @jnsereko, @suruchi, @corneliouzbett, and @tendayi.mutangadura) for joining the Symposium and presenting their fellowship work, journey, experiences, learning, and more.

You can find my fellowship journey here, and always grateful to my mentor @jennifer for guiding me throughout the process :heart_hands:

Also, as we incorporate a couple of new ideas while opening the application for the 2023 Fellowship Program, we are reaching out to the community again for more suggestions and feedback as it will help us improve the fellowship program. If you have any feedback, please do let us know here.

We have also pulled out three fellowship orientation sessions this November. We are done with:

• Session 1: Fellowship Program Overview
  • Session 2: Matching Your Goals with the Skills You Need
  • Session 3: Mentorship, Open Source Citizens, and OpenMRS

Please feel free to check out the recordings here at the orientation wiki. Big hug to @jennifer, @christine, and @erica, our superb operation and community team.

I also had a great chance to catch up with @suruchi this month. We met for in-person coffee since we belong from the same city/county. We had a fun time sharing each other fellowship journey.

Global events

Like usual, have been regularly attending the global events and OMR22 planning calls, but mostly in listening mode.

Capstone project

Finally, I got a chance to do a separate 1:1 fellowship check-in with my mentor @jennifer after a long gap to discuss my fellowship journey and especially discuss my capstone project. You can find my capstone proposal here. Have received feedback and a great list of resources to study from Jennifer to kickstart my updating dev stage project work. Currently, I am compiling my reading and reference list.

What’s in the bag for next month? :school_satchel:

Fellowship

For December, will work to support and facilitate the remaining fellowship orientation session. Also, we are looking into ways to promote the 2023 fellowship application; so looking forward to working on that end too.

Global events

Will continue joining the OMR22 planning call.

Capstone project

I plan to allocate most of my December time for a capstone project. I will start working on it; first, by catching up with a few technical community members to understand their view regarding the dev stages and potential space for improvement they see; second, by compiling the finding and recommendation that has been identified with proper documentation for further work.

Since December is the final month of my fellowship, I looking forward to making the best use of it.

3 Likes