Reflection about SolDevelo's Internship (#OMRS2020)

There is, but I don’t know how many of them will answer me finally. I tried to contact them a month ago but I received only a few feedbacks. I think that many of them already don’t remember about that project despite my emails.

1 Like

I made an interview with @sacull and we found many interesting conclusions which I think are very important for OpenMRS. I’ll try to publish it next week.

3 Likes

Hey, I’ve got a little update: the first part of our interview with Łukasz just showed on our website. You can read it here: https://soldevelofoundation.org/how-to-win-a-competition-interview-with-the-winner-of-omrs2020/ Go check it out!

2 Likes

Interesting! Thanks @zuzanna for sharing.

1 Like

Very interesting dialogue. Thanks @zuzanna

If you liked the first part of the interview you like the second one for sure. It’s better. We talk about many important things for the community, for young developers and newbies in the OpenMRS. I’m really proud of that work and I’ll hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The title of the interview is not without significance :wink: Link: https://soldevelofoundation.org/the-role-of-a-mentor-in-an-international-organization/

The knowledge concluded in the interview may be helpful for mentors in organizing future projects in OpenMRS. Cheers :partying_face:

1 Like

Very helpful. We need this kind of feedback to continuously improve. Thanks again @zuzanna for sharing!

1 Like

@zuzanna Thank you for starting this important thread. What was the problem you’re referring to? The massive documentation? That the existing intro tickets were confusing or not small enough? Or something else?

As you likely know from Talk, we have a Google Summer of Docs project ongoing with some volunteer technical writers to help us clean up and simplify our Getting Started as a Developer documentation, so it’s great to hear this continued reinforcement that this should be a priority.

We’re also working on a progressive, big clean up of our issue tracking system. So we would be curious to understand any additional details that made things difficult for your other interns to get started. It sounds like our standard filter of both Curated Intro tickets and the other more complex level of Community Priority tickets were both too much too soon for many candidates, which is very helpful feedback to understand.

@zuzana thanks for sharing out this,some awesome feed back. @jennifer had to tag you on this.

1 Like

Hey Grace,

I think that the biggest problem was massive documentation which knowledge was necessary to do tasks. Also, there weren’t easy intro tickets which could help interns get to know with OpenMRS and its code. After that, they should read more documentation to do tickets on a higher level of knowledge. Many people coming to the community may have skills in developing but they totally lost in the documentation and without big motivation and determination probably faster or later lose interest in helping.

The work that @sacull did is even greater, cause he created this easy intro tasks for others who could entry the OpenMRS’ world without being overwhelmed by its huge documentation and complicated tasks. Unfortunately, these are the main reasons why newbies lose their interest in that Open-Source.

I may suggest focusing on creating a course for newbies where documentation would be kept to a minimum, it will include enough easy tasks (also from Jira, cause many people don’t know this tool and at first has big problems using it) and the help of a mentor who regularly will add new tasks to the Intro Backlog and help if somebody has a problem with something.

If you want, you can read our thoughts about the topic, because we talked about it in the interview with Łukasz. At the foundation’s website, 2 parts have already been published. I think the last one will be published in next week or at the end of the current.

Hi @zuzanna, Thanks for sharing all of this feedback.

Our documentation can be daunting - and we try to make it at least a little bit easier to get started as a developer by having a…Getting Started as a Developer Guide! Several community volunteers try share this guide with newcomers who introduce themselves in the Welcome! thread on a regular basis. We know that even that can be improved and this is one of the objectives of the GSoD project that @grace mentioned. Your or @sacull’s contributions to and feedback on the draft guide is more than welcome.

I’m curious to learn more about your process for orienting and guiding the interns. With GSoC, the community usually starts preparing several months ahead and it consists of several key steps, from brainstorming projects to recruiting mentors to reviewing student applications. If you look at the Talk posts tagged GSoC 2020, you can get an idea of the effort that our GSoC admins (and our PM team) put into this to make it an enjoyable and satisfactory experience for the students.

If you think that this is something that Sodevelo will organize again in the future, let’s talk more about how we can better coordinate and/or collaborate.

And if you’re interested in helping us create a course or materials for newbies, I encourage you to join or follow the work that the OpenMRS Academy Squad is doing.

1 Like

@dkayiwa I read from @zuzanna’s interview with interns that SonarQube is helpful for new developers. Do you think we should have some kind of documentation for it? Or at least a short intro and then provide link?

Łukasz talked about SonarLint also. Think about it too

1 Like

The foundation plans to organize a similar project in the future and we are open to any cooperation :slight_smile:

I think I could learn a lot from mentors and PMs from GSOC. I’ll be glad if I could learn something from you guys and watch how you work. Maybe I could help you somehow :wink:

Wonderful @zuzanna!

About GSOC, when there’s something to help with, it’s usually comes up during Monday PM Team meetings as well as on Talk. It looks like there’s already a GSOC2021 tag, so you could set up your Talk preferences to watch or track posts with that tag or the GSOC category.

1 Like