Continuing the discussion from Kickstarting Integration of Twitter Boostrap for Ref App UI for 2.6:
I have finally been able to get my thoughts together in a draft coherent plan to this
Background and Overview
The OpenMRS reference application has developed and maintained its own style guide (https://demo.openmrs.org/openmrs/uicommons/styleGuide.page) which defines how elements are built and defined.
There is a need to therefore move to a style guide that is used by more web developers around the world, hence the choice of Twitter Bootstrap (http://getbootstrap.com/) as the foundation building blocks with the Reference Application look and feel as the default theme.
The benefits for this move are as follows:
* Easier to define the structure of Open Web Apps (OWAs) and widgets that are used as the foundation blocks
Attracts more developers without learning curve of OpenMRS specific web application structure
Responsive functionality out of the box to support web and smartphone form factors
Enable the resources spent on maintaining and updating the style guide to be used elsewhere
However this will be a major change to the reference application with the potential to break existing distributions that depend on the reference application.
The migration is expected happen over the course of 3 Reference Application releases as follows:
- Twitter Bootstrap 4, although in beta is considered stable enough for use with no additional features and changes being added, being incorporated into the Reference Application, themed to provide the same look and feel
- Reference application Style guide updated to work with Boostrap.
Responsive pages introduced on the clinician facing dashboard, dashboard widgets updated to match the new styling
- Migration of OWAs and JS Widgets to the new HTML format for Boostrap begins
- The Reference Application style guide marked as deprecated
2.10 - final cut over to Bootstrap to replace Reference application style guide
An initial POC has been implemented by @darius as per this thread which can form the foundation of efforts being implemented https://talk.openmrs.org/t/kickstarting-integration-of-twitter-boostrap-for-ref-app-ui-for-2-6/9545