Glad to inform you that OpenMRS is an official Google summer of code mentoring organisation for the 9th year! Since we are officially IN now, I would like to give you (for the potential students) couple of hints - generally what we are looking about you guys in the selection stage and specially for this iOS project.
First please read the information i have mentioned in the wiki itself.
I prefer the interested students to follow these steps before applying with a proposal for this project in 16-27 March 2015.
- First, try to crack some intro tickets of OpenMRS trunk - so you will get to know about the server side of OpenMRS (the HQ of our tiny client!) 1.A. Then try to understand how REST service calls helps to connect client with server side.: see REST module
- Then try to crack the current iOS code base and attempt to find bugs - so you will get comfortable with the current iOS code base.
- Then go and research about how you gonna implement the things mentioned in abstract section of the project wiki: mainly research the ways how you could implement the ODKClinic for iOS by analysing how Android project does that.
(1) What would be a good starting point for me to gain necessary skills required for this project?
- iOS Client main wiki: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/OpenMRS+iOS+Client
- ODKClinic Video on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JTJ_KM4puQ
- Project wiki: https://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/wiki/ODKClinic
- Related mailing list discussion: https://groups.google.com/a/openmrs.org/forum/#!topic/dev/JeQ5uWCYTOM
(2) Could you please guide me through the process?
Get familiar with:
- OpenMRS core system and its modules. (Fixing few Trunk introductory tickets would be Plus point in selection stage.): See for more: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Getting+Started+as+a+Developer
- OpenMRS REST web services module and REST API usage: REST Module, REST Web Services API For Clients iOS client’s current code base over here: https://github.com/Undo1/openmrs-contrib-ios-client
(3) Could you provide me some simple bugs to start with?
- For the moment, by bugs i mean
core ticketsnot iOS bugs, please see : https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Getting+Started+as+a+Developer
- intro tickets are listed in that wiki. More importantly this will increase your chances for getting selected (if you find them really hard to fix, atleast try to do some patches/PRs and show us your effort!)
If you have any problems or need further clarifications related to the project “OpenMRS iOS Client Extensions”, just ask them below.