OpenMRS India Community

I’m moving a discussion about the India community here.

Hi!

I’m Neha Goel, and I’m working on a Telemedicine project in India that is implementing OpenMRS.

As someone who’s new to the community I would love to connect with other people from India in this community.

Please reply to this post if you’re interested in starting up/joining an OpenMRS India community!

1 Like

Hey

This is Mayank from New Delhi, India. I like the idea and would love to help in my capacity. I am currently working as the Platform 2.0 Release Manager and the Developer Tools Manager for OpenMRS. I did have a chat with Emily to better understand your requirements. From what I gather, you are looking for developers and primarily you’d be using OpenMRS for data analytics (at least in the coming months). @vaibhavhp , @sandeepraparthi would you be interested in this??

Hi @ngoel2,

This is really great! I am from Hyderabad, India. I am doing my masters in Health Informatics in IUPUI, Indianapolis.I have been associated with OpenMRS since 2011 to learn software development and am still learning :smile: . Presently, I am trying to lead OpenMRS releases and streamline and improve the processes.

There are a lot of OpenMRS developers in India. I think it would be great to have a community for everyone interested in OpenMRS India. I recently began talking with my college KMIT to help start an OpenMRS community.

I would want to support and help in any way possible. I’ll be in Hyderabad soon. I hope we could setup a meeting in India sometime in December or January to help kickstart this.

3 Likes

Thanks @maany! Its wonderful to e-meet you Sri @maurya.

I would love to catch up with you, I will be in Hyderabad in early January and would love to meet up. My email is nverma39■■■■■■■■■■, please do shoot me an email so that we can set up a time/place to meet.

Dear All,

If you’re interested in kickstarting the conversation around an OpenMRS India Community, and you’re here at the OpenMRS World Summit in Singapore join in for a kickstarter lunch,

Dec 12, 2015 (Tomorrow) 1 - 2pm @ Food Court, SMU (lots of vegetarian food options)

We will be at a table in the back to the left of the food court stalls. If you need help finding the place, call me at +65 94673256.

Benefits of an India community

• Establishing community connections with the MOHFW.
  • Developing India specific support for OpenMRS such as language support, CDS for India-specific clinical protocols
  • Peer-learning
  • Resources for implementers, users and developers in India.
  • Health IT laws security and privacy in India, interoperability.
  • Monthly webinars, A local OpenMRS meeting.

I look forward to collaborating!

Hi @ngoel2 I am sandeepraparthi from Hyderabad,India.I have been associated with openmrs since september 2014. @maurya had many plans about the community wing in india and i hope this will be a kick start for everyone interested in OpenMRS India.I would love to help in my capacity. Thanks @maany

Hello all. I’m @themoonraker13 from Gujarat and I would be glad to join the OpenMRS community India. I’m currently working on OpenMRS multi-tenancy.

Thanks for getting this discussion started @ngoel2. I’ve moved the discussion to the local communities category, since it seems more appropriate.

It would also be great to get some input from @surangak on this.

Hi @ngoel12,

I’m from India and I’d love to help you out and contribute to your project in any way I can. I’ve only recently come to know of OpenMRS and am looking to contribute in any way I can, from the programming perspective :smile:

1 Like

Hi all,

@surangak here. Neha and I had some conversations in person during the summit, but unfortunately we couldn’t touch base on the local community matter. Yeap, an Indian community is long overdue, and there’s a lot of advantages to be had. @ngoel2, others I wonder if you had a chance to go through https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/OpenMRS+Local+Communities yet, and see how this matches with what you envisioned.

Its also interesting to try and understand what will drive the community - focus on a specific implementation, or trying to help one another grow together.

I understand that this might be bad timing, given that everyone is in the ye old holiday spirit… but perhaps we could try to have a conversation around this, given that there are so many willing spirits :sunny:

1 Like

Hi All

I am Sharon Varghese. I have been associated with OpenMRS from September 2014 and it great to know about the Indian Wing @maurya great idea. I would love to contribute to the community :smile:

1 Like

Hello All,

I am Gurpreet Luthra from Pune (ThoughtWorks), and would like to participate in efforts in creating a local India community for OpenMRS. ThoughtWorks offices in Pune/Bangalore and other locations can be used as meetup locations, and I would be glad to help organize online trainings or meetings for OpenMRS related areas.

How do we all communicate? Use this talk forum… or an email group?

Happy New Year!

Hi @gsluthra, this is great! I think a good home base where at least some of the community could meet in person would be wonderful! Also, there seems to be a world of opportunity in terms of what you can work/focus on as a group.

In terms of communication, you’ll be getting access to your own talk forum, wiki space, IRC channel once you are formally accepted as a local community (refer to https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/OpenMRS+Local+Communities)

Since so many folks have expressed interest in this group, why don’t we go ahead and begin the formalization process? this would be a great way to kick off the process.

The first (and most important discussion point) I feel is ‘what specific tasks/objectives do you want to accomplish?’ We seem to have a good mix of students / devs and implementers among the folks who responded here - so it’ll be nice to see if there’s some agreement on what kind of objectives everyone wants to accomplish via this community.

@gsluthra Why don’t you start listing some of your early aspirations for the community here, so that others can chip in? You can be as abstract as you please. And if there’s agreement, then we can move onto the formal application process, and have everyone working together in no time!

From my perspective I would like to propose the following goals:

1. A community where folks interested in OpenMRS / public health / open source EMR software ecosystem can join, get help, meet like-minded people and learn about OpenMRS – both from a development & functional perspective.

2. A community which allows people to discuss/brainstorm/plan implementations and possibly also find volunteers to help implement OpenMRS in hospitals in India.

This can take the form of:

• Monthly meetups
  • Volunteer driven OpenMRS trainings (Online / Classroom)
  • Blogs / Experiences being shared of implementations
  • Visits to hospitals where an EMR has been deployed, etc.
2 Likes

Hi @ngoel2,

I am Pankaj from ThoughtWorks. I work with #Bahmni team from ThoughtWorks’ Pune office. I am keen on seeing more OpenMRS implementations in Indian sub-continent.

+1 to the goals that @gsluthra has put forth.

I would like to add these:

• Create awareness about OpenMRS amongst students and FOSS community in India for contributions (code and non-code) and potential implementations
  • Provide a platform to bootstrap anyone who wants to be an OpenMRS contributor or implementer
  • Evangelise about OpenMRS in eHealth forums and aim to influence state health departments in adopting OpenMRS as default EMR (this may be longer term goal)

Hi @ngoel2 I am Bharat from Thoughtworks, Hyderabad. I am currently working as a developer for Bahmni. We do a lot of contribution to OpenMRS. I am open to contribute my knowledge and learn from the community through various channels that @gsluthra proposed.

1 Like

Hi @ngoel2, I am Akhil from ThoughtWorks, working with Bahmni team in Bangalore. Its nice to see OpenMRS community taking shape in India. Looking forward to connect with the community and contribute as well as learn from the community. I shall be available at the various channels that @gsluthra has proposed.

This is excellent! thanks @gsluthra and @pkanchankar, these sounds great! i’ve taken the liberty of going ahead and combining these…

• Enable participants interested in OpenMRS / public health / open source EMR software ecosystem can join, get help, meet like-minded people and learn about OpenMRS – both from a development & functional perspective.

• Enable members to discuss/brainstorm/plan implementations and possibly also find volunteers to help implement OpenMRS in hospitals in India.

• Create awareness about OpenMRS amongst students and FOSS community in India for contributions (code and non-code) and potential implementations

• Provide a platform to bootstrap anyone who wants to be an OpenMRS contributor or implementer

• Evangelise OpenMRS in eHealth forums and aim to influence state health departments in adopting OpenMRS as default EMR (this may be longer term goal)

The community will work / collaborate via:

• Monthly meetups (Thoughtworks or other venue)
  • Volunteer driven OpenMRS trainings (Online / Classroom)
  • Blogs / Experiences being shared of implementations
  • Visits to hospitals where an EMR has been deployed, etc.

The objectives are somewhat broad, and cover a lot of ground, but I feel that this may be a good way to start off…

Does everyone on this thread feel that these are good objectives? why don’t we give everyone a day or so to see if they have any other suggestions, and then mail community■■■■■■■■■■■■ seeking official approval? that way, we can move ahead with setting up your own communication channels / governance processes etc, and get this rolling along?

3 Likes

Thanks @surangak! Do you know if there is any way to reach out to people who would be potentially interested in joining the India Community?

What does everyone think about getting started with a kick-off event to launch monthly meet-ups?

1 Like