OpenMRS for offline

This was sent to me via mail.

I would like to be able to see if it would be possible to develop offline functionality for Openmrs. We are struggling with connectivity at some sites using Openmrs. For example when providers are entering a patient and the connection cuts off, then they lose everything and have to re-enter the lost information. Basically I would like to know how we could set up functionality so that if connection is lost while a provider is entering or submitting information, it could save the information temporarily until the connection is restored and the information can be submitted. I know that DHIS which is also web based has offline functionality and lets the user know when the application is offline. I think it saves it to the local cache until the connection is restore.

Any thoughts?

Did you take a look at this? https://bahmni.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BAH/Bahmni+Connect+Application

Thanks @dkayiwa you saying the offline functionality only exists in bahmni and to have that functionality you have to move to bahmni?

@ivange94 How about using the Android client which will sync data - this may change some of the work flows though

1 Like

This would be a very nice feature request. I bet that it’s feasible to do this within the HTML Form Entry and XForms modules (by having them save drafts to local browser storage), but hard to do it globally across the entire application.

Feel free to propose this. And then to work on it. :slight_smile:

@darius how about the patient searches that lead to the filling of these forms?

I think the MVP is to save draft forms in case the network drops while you’re filling them out.

From @ivange94’s initial post:

We are struggling with connectivity at some sites using Openmrs. For example when providers are entering a patient and the connection cuts off, then they lose everything and have to re-enter the lost information. … if connection is lost while a provider is entering or submitting information, it could save the information temporarily until the connection is restored and the information can be submitted

Obviously it would be nicer to have complete offline functionality, but that expands the scope of this feature significantly. :slight_smile:

I agree with @ssmusoke. Android client have good offline support and we are working hard to bring more feature offline, though it may change the workflow but I guess it will be more convinient.