Not permitted to access OpenMRS wiki

Is anyone else getting this error message while trying to access the openmrs wiki? “Not Permitted” “You are not permitted to perform this operation.”

1 Like

I got that message but signed in again and it was fine.

Same here. For anyone who checks -> sign out, and back in again. Curious though…

2 Likes

Okay, none of you should get that.

I am investigating what happened.

UPDATE: I am not sure what happened. Logging out and logging back in should fix things. I wish I knew what was happening.

FWIW, logging out and back fixed things. But it happened again today and i needed to first log out and then in. Something is going on!

I literally have no clue what to do to fix it – I changed nothing. If it keeps happening for more people, I’ll try contacting Atlassian Support, but I’d prefer for it to affect more people first.

In case you’re keeping track, this (needing to log out and log in again) happened to me for the first time just now (when I first tried to use the wiki today).

I got this error this morning when I visited the wiki. I clicked on a link to a specific page and was redirected to what appeared to be an “Administration > Users” page that only showed a “You are not permitted to perform this operation” message. I tried other pages, including the home page, and kept getting the error. I tried logging out and logging back in and got an error that my credentials were invalid. I refreshed the page (without trying to log in again) and the wiki loaded (with me authenticated). :confused:

Since then, I’ve been using the wiki normally.

I’m gonna keep track of the thread participants. I’ll contact Atlassian support next week sometime – in the meantime it’s a small inconvenience that doesn’t prevent us from doing anything. Anonymous access is allowed, so people can still view the documentation on the wiki.

Ran into this again this morning. So far, I haven’t been able to get to any wiki pages. I’ve tried logging out, clearing cookies, emptying caches, and restarting my browser. Both Safari & Chrome are sending me directly to this:

Using curl seems to work, suggesting it’s something cached or cookies in the browser.

$ curl -i https://wiki.openmrs.org/
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:40:10 GMT
X-ASEN: SEN-477335
X-Confluence-Request-Time: 1469457610913
Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=57B8BEBD8FE6F451B87709B55F7B8E3C; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Location: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs;jsessionid=57B8BEBD8FE6F451B87709B55F7B8E3C
Content-Type: text/html;charset=UTF-8
Content-Length: 0
Vary: Accept-Encoding

$ curl -i https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs;jsessionid=57B8BEBD8FE6F451B87709B55F7B8E3C
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:40:34 GMT
X-ASEN: SEN-477335
Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
X-Confluence-Request-Time: 1469457634518
Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=0F607AC3F9871820FEA9AAEEE0BC004D; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Location: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Home;jsessionid=0F607AC3F9871820FEA9AAEEE0BC004D
Content-Type: text/html;charset=UTF-8
Content-Length: 0
Vary: Accept-Encoding

$ curl -i https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Home;jsessionid=0F607AC3F9871820FEA9AAEEE0BC004D
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:40:46 GMT
X-ASEN: SEN-477335
Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
X-Confluence-Request-Time: 1469457646102
Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=F29D5C22D382FA0EE1A9BFD540AF7E71; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Set-Cookie: wit-announce-token=71ea105f-17c3-48ab-8285-17c127c1a3a2-1406834163570-anon; Expires=Mon, 01-Aug-2016 14:40:48 GMT; Path=/
Content-Type: text/html;charset=UTF-8
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <title>Home - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki</title>
    ...

Update: After posting this message. I went back to Safari, refreshed once more, and the home page loaded. So, maybe it’s a bug in the authentication processed cached server side. I hadn’t changed anything else locally and had refreshed Safari a couple times without luck… then one more refresh and it’s working. That makes me think the problem is server-side and not a cookie or local cache issue on the client side.

1 Like

I also experienced the same problems again today. And i have seen a number of people come to IRC complaining of the same.

I have no clue what’s going on…did you try logging out and then logging back in? I edited a page myself earlier…

also, we don’t administer users from Confluence, we do that from Atlassian Crowd.

This just happened to me again. (I think it’s the first time in a month, so not a blocker, just FYI in case it matters for anyone debugging at any point.)

I don’t know what to do to fix it…

I saw this to right after the developer call today. I logged out and back in and it started working again. I think it is probably something going on with authentication failing intermittently.

1 Like

@k_joseph also just mentioned this. I think I agree with @burke’s assessment, but we’re probably going to have to check the logs at the precise moment it happens for someone.

Once we have a log aggregation tool set up, this will be a lot easier.

Actually, today wasn’t my first time to experience this, i had to use a private tunnel and appear as though connecting from New York to finally access WIKI.

It also happened to me again today.