My OpenMRS Fellowship Journey: Daud

Each test is a different experience however, I was referring to selenium API which is a critical part of the Selenium Webdriver Test Automation NOT calls to the backend API.

I strongly agree!

And the community’s decision of switching from manual testing to Automated testing was a critical decision whose benefits goes beyond imaginations. Efforts are being done by QA Squad to seeing this is achieved though its a journey which we are currently travelling cc: @sharif. Maintenance work for 2.x Ref App will be lessened and upcoming releases will be amazingly supported with automated tests without the pain that comes with manual testing.

Supporting 3.x Ref App is on my mind to ensure our new Ref App is also automated behind the seen. @jayasanka is already doing amazing work on this and other QA contributors. This will ensure our software has a better end user experience before being released for consumption by our implementers. I adopted what Christine sold to the community during the recent virtual conference, “Automation should come First not Last”.

This is the beauty of automated tests. The tests pick the run on any change whether its a back end change Or front end change and the run will always be made on every commit made on the repo and on every merge. CI is smart enough to give a reliable report though some times misses to catch some bugs especially when our severs are unstable on which it spins from however, Bamboo is a superman in giving a reliable report then.

The % is for the previous legacy ui tests which were written by then and were ignored not to run ci actions due to some reasons that is being addressed by the QA Squad and most of them have been resurrected already and are now running in master. Actually only 8 tests out of 57 are the only tests that are still ignored however, the good news is that the contributors are looking into it to make them resolved. cc @sharif @insookwa @gracebish

For those functionality that were not covered by the previous legacy tests(in old test workflow) for 2.x Ref App, we are writing their tests in new workflow based testing framework that was selected by the community which mimics end user experience in a live environment using cucumber feature file which documents the tests in a very smart way. cc: @christine . We have some new tests already that have been automated by our QA contributors and here is a 2-minutes video that explains it well than I can do in words.

I like this caption.

This is a journey we have as a community! I think @grace we may need to take one step at time, good enough the QA squad is increasing each day and we invite members around the community to join the squad to see this come true.

Any one interested to join this amazing QA work can check around this wiki here to get started and visiting our Jira Dashboard page here. Our weekly calls are conducted every Tuesday 7:00 pm EAT where one can get to know the ongoing work in the squad. Also the squad members are very supportive to any one who may need 1:1 onboarding session with the work to get started. AFAICT QA work is very interesting and a good venture for any one!

Would be amazing supporting x critical workflows for our implementations/distributions with automated tests around the world. I think @christine this is a good idea to have in our pipeline. I saw @ssmusoke’s interests in this as well here

I agree for now

cc: @sharif @christine @dkayiwa @ibacher @burke @jennifer

1 Like