My OpenMRS Fellowship Journey: Daud

EPIC 2: JUNE  
BDD Workflow Based Testing Framework For Reference Application

Continuing from the previous epic, the last phase of June has been so fruitful in advancing my technical skill set as a QA Engineer. Working on the new workflow based testing framework has exposed me to new tools thus acquiring new skills in software development.

Echoing on the fellowship plan, I was able to achieve more than what I had set for the month of June and this has come true through following the guidance of the incredible mentor @k.joseph. Reading more about the new tools consumed within the framework has helped me grasp so quickly the logistics within the workflow for E2E Testing that mimics the end user experience in a live environment.

An interesting 3 minutes demo on Automated Clinical Visit Test can be located by just a click on this video

Having attended the session @grace looped us in, I was compelled to invade into cypress tool. After reading more resources about the tool, I moved to the technical part of which my dev environment is already up and running and started the cypress journey with ocl module which is led by @hadijah315 and @ibacher. This is an extension of the technical work which I desired in the journey and more about this exciting tool will be well captured in the next epic in July.

Challenge of the month.

While implementing the E2E Tests in the new workflow, I cannot forget the day when I spent a full night figuring out how to smartly handle user input validation in automated tests. Thanks to my mentor whom I contacted and he still gave me a room to figure it out and was a thrilling experience when I figured it out the following midnight, and I can now confidently say I am a consultant on validations.

2 Great Lessons From the Mentor 

Though the mentor might have not realized this, but have been able to acquire leadership skills from him. Have closely observed how he handles different scenarios in software development as a technical lead ensuring coordinating different contributors and keeping the project progressing thus acquiring the skills as well.

Secondly, I really like how @k.joseph provides a room for growth. He presents challenges that has made me grow my technical skills and expertise. Being open to growth is a key element in software development and I’m always willing to let my preconceived notions be broken at any moment. As well willing to let the data drive my decisions and accepting that I’ve never reached a final version of perfection. He always shows me there is something I can do to make stuff better.

Thanks to the Fellowship Admins @jennifer @grace @christine @dkayiwa @ibacher @janflowers giving me the opportunity to be part of this year’s fellowship experience with a community that deals with saving lives. Every day am driven by the fact that a single line of code saves millions of lives around the world :earth_asia: !

8 Likes