My Fellowship Journey : Cliff Gita

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fceb7fb00d0> #<Tag:0x00007fceb7fb0008>

I am Cliff Gita , from Uganda ,Kampala, and i have been involved with the OpenMRS community since January 2019 acting as a developer and am currently volunteering as a platform release of 2.4.0.

Am very excited and happy to join the first OpenMRS felowship 2020/2021 as a fellow in the area of development ,focusing on the PLIR ,FHIR ,Analytics Engine Projects for OpenMRS. I will be working directly with @mozzy as my fellow mentor.

In the first Month (November) of the fellowship.

• I was learning and reading about the project , getting more familiar with the various frameworks used in the PLIR and analytics work.

• Contributed to the analtics engine, FHIR and PLIR repos.

• Attended the calls with my mentor and fellow partner and the best way to pool off the proof of concept for PLIR.

• Attend weekly calls of the FHIR/PLIR and analytics meetings.

10 Likes

Hello everyone

I the past few weeks as a fellow i continued getting more familiar with the analytics engine streaming modes plus the openHIM framework, currently working on shifting debezium specific settings to a json config file.

I also worked on the HAPI FHIR JPA server to enable it support basic authentication for any clients apps making requests . I have been engaged in weekly calls and holding sessions with colleagues ,thanks to @akimaina

I came up with a blog post on the modes used in the analytics engine.

@mozzy @k.joseph @jennifer @ayesh

5 Likes

Hello community

In the past three weeks, i have been working mainly on the analytics engine ie

1. Fixing Debezium events to FHIR mapping where uuid is missing for specific tables
  2. Adding code formatting in the analytics xml files
  3. Finishing up with moving debezium configs to a json config file
  4. Added the necessary javadoc to util methods

Also been holding personal calls with my mentor(@mozzy ) and @akimaina

The next tasks are;

• Start working on tasks related to contributing to the development of the OpenHIM mediator for intergration with OpenCR

• Getting up to speed and helping out in contributing to defining Fhir measure resources and integrating of QA into the analytics work

@k.joseph @jennifer @grace

4 Likes

Hello community

In the past few weeks been finnishing up tasks in the analytics engine related to the PLIR work and focusing more on the collect_data_operation with in the HAPI-SERVER which can process the Measure resource to extract the data that would be necessary for the calculation of the TX_PVLS indicator

Am currently working on the integration tests for the recently implemented collect data operation to test different behaviors and making sure the respective data is being returned firom the server as per the defined measure expression.

Also working on implementing read hard coded Basic Auth credentials from a properties files in Hapi Fhir and having mentorship session with my mentors @mozzy and @k.joseph .

The tasks will be working on tasks emerging from possible CQL intergrations into PLIR from other teams like Intra-health plus also spiking on e2e testing for the debezium bin-log streaming in the analytics engine.

@jennifer @grace

6 Likes

Hello community;

In the previous days i finished up with some tasks in the analytics engine and hapi fhir JPA server ie the intergrations tests for the collect data operation. Debugging some issue related to reading hard coded basic auth credentials from a yaml file

Started work in the analytics engine about the end to end integration testing for the debezium-binlog streaming and also finalizing other tasks related to PLIR work in the analytics engine .

Also contnued attendance of weekly PLIR and FHIR squard calls and having fellowship sessions with my mentor @mozzy

5 Likes

great work @gcliff

2 Likes

In the past two weeks.

I started working on the end to end testing of the stream mode pipeline processing of the analytics engine and also finishing up on other issues in the analytics engine needed for the Ampath deployment.

Also continuing to have weekly fellowship sessions with @mozzy & @k.joseph plus the analytics & FHIR/PLIR weekly calls

2 Likes

great work @gcliff

2 Likes

Hello everyone

In the past two weeks i have been working on the finishing up some issues in the anyltics engine particularly for the e2e testing of the binlog pipeline.

Also started on some tasks in the fhir2 module and holding sessions with my mentor @mozzy

For the next week , ill focus creating a qa-framework for the PLIR integration setup.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

In the last two weeks of March i have been working on developing a script for the end-to-end test of the stream pipeline of the analytics engine with bash shell, the task also involved making some refactoring in the end-to-end batch script to factor out the common pieces in both scripts ie setting up the test environment(spin-up the openemrs and fhir docker containers),this has given me a frist time exposure to script programming , getting a deep dive scripts and becoming familiar with how they work.

I have also been doing some work in the fhir2 module which is basically to implement the has search parameter on the service request resource referring to the Observation, this issue has tasked me to dig into the fhir2 module DAO code to learn how the patterns of java code are being used to write code that generates sql queries that stored and retrieve data from the openmrs DB(thanks to @ibacher for the motoring). During this process i got to learn and appreciate more the beauty of the hibernate framework plus the criteria API in mapping java classes to database tables and from java data types to SQL data types, i also got learn more about java 8 stream and optional API plus lambda expressions which provides a clear and concise way to represent one method interface using an expression in the collections library .

I have also been doing more personal studies on the analytics batch mode code to better understand how the segmentation between the batch fhir and batch jdbc is done using the search segment descriptor, also took a look into some concepts ie the parquet files and the beauty they bring to the table of storing data in columnar format for easy storing and querying plus flattening of tables in DBs .

Having sessions with my mentor @mozzy and weekly check-ins with @k.joseph & @jennifer

Planning to continue with work in analytics and fhir2 plus dockerizing the plir-widget, focussing on QA with in the FHIR/PLIR project

4 Likes