Looking for some OpenMRS implementation trainers for Ghana Training

Novartis Foundation and Millennium Promise is looking to put on an OpenMRS orientation and full day training in Accra or Kumasi, Ghana in the near future to raise awareness of OpenMRS and to increase capacity of the local team and others to implement OpenMRS as part of an integrated telemedicine program across the country. This is an extension of the team which did work for the Millennium Villages Project a few years ago, but we now need a refresher. This would be a 1-2 day event. If you are willing and able to be an instructor, travel costs will be covered. Attendance by local implementers is likely to be open without financial support. This is still in development, but I know there have been great events in West and East Africa that we’d like to learn from. Any help would be appreciated and please let me know if you are interested in helping to run the training.

1 Like

@akanter i can to do it

I can help depending on the schedule.

Thanks, guys! I will keep you informed. @ssemakadde, can you attach some details about what a proposed agenda might look like based on other orientation work?

@akanter, I might be able to help, depending on what training is to be covered and when it’s held.

If the training was to take place in July. Would that change people’s availability? Matthew, did you see my earlier comment requesting some detail of your orientation?

July is good.

For what its worth, July works for me, and I can be available, if necessary, But otherwise, you can’t go wrong with the folks who have already responded to this thread :slight_smile:

Depending on the timing in July, I might already be in Africa, so would be easy for me to help out. If it works out that attendance isn’t feasible, maybe I can contribute to agenda and materials for a training?

I should be able to fit July into my schedule, but I would need to get it scheduled soon.

Hi, My name is Evans currently volunteering with the Research and Development Unit of Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi-Ghana and I am hoping to receive some implementation training on OpenMRS. Please alert me if there is an opportunity to acquire this skill.

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks, Evans, we will keep you in mind as planning moves forward

I may help as well. As I will be in Cote d’Ivoire (neighboring country to Ghana) at that time (July). I am used to such kind of training. I am the one who introduced OpenMRS in Cote d’Ivoire last year (under JSI and Measure Evaluation supervision), the training was funded by USAID.

1 Like

@akanter sorry for the delay. The agenda always depends on the modules running and the level of trainees. i have attached what i proposed for this two day training.Proposed Agenda .docx (14.8 KB)

Excellent. Thank you. I’ll review and get back to the group with more details.

1 Like

Looks like this has been delayed into October, but still is hoped to have happen. I have @ssemakadde, @ball and @arbaughj who originally offered to run the training. Are all still interested and is anyone else? If we had 3 days, would the agenda be different?

@akanter October ? which days? for the agenda it has to change day two was plied with day entry demonstrations and reporting some reporting can move to days three. Can i do that for you?

@akanter, if you have an extra day, do you want to include overview of clinical informatics (and the role of an informatics team?). @sunbiz has developed curriculum also so you may want to reach out to him ( we discussed this need on the LT call this past week) so perhaps we can use this training as a jumping off start to start content managing different curriculum options.

BTW, global brigades has used OpenMRS since around 2012 in Ghana in remote villages, and my understanding is that the data has been submitted to the MOH through the country Global Brigades (GB) office. Since GB uses local providers ( physicians and dentists), there should already be trained providers in country using OpenMRS. I can give you one contact if you want that i stay in touch with.

Sounds good. So far OpenMRS seems to be losing momentum in Ghana. Anything we can do to get them to see the potential, the better. Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH FACMI

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology Columbia University Email: andrew.kanter@■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Mobile: +1 (646) ■■■■■■■■ Office: +1 (212) ■■■■■■■■ Skype: akanter-ippnw Yahoo: andy_kanter

@akanter, October is good for me at this time, and I am excited to be able to help. As soon as I know the dates, I can put it on my schedule to ensure those dates remain available.