Looking for some OpenMRS implementation trainers for Ghana Training

I am trying to keep this training alive. I would like to know if anyone has any specific pre-requisites for the TOR for the participants. I recommended that the training be split in two sections. The first would be more general orientation to OpenMRS which would be beneficial for any stakeholder and the latter which would be primarily for implementers. This would need to include things like concepts, forms, reports, etc. I don’t think we would have developers. However, I presume that implementers would need a basic understanding of MySQL, network administration, HTML, etc. to be trained. Do we have such a list?

@akanter You are right with your approach. My team and I have been doing some implementations since the year began, I can draft a list of essential skills or must have knowledge for IT OpenMRS administration. These are the short training we give to health facility IT support in order to help run the system on ground and also assist in generating reports. Give me a couple of days to share my thoughts or list.

Thank you Benjamin

That would be great. Any chance I could get it before 9am CDT (Chicago) tomorrow? I have a conference call :slight_smile:

@Akanter

Hardware installation Server specifications (Ram size, hard disk space, network cards,etc) Power Supply options Inverter, solar panel, etc

Software Installation Basic Ubuntu installation Introduction to MySQL Database Administrator. MySql Workbench 101 or Navicat Basic OpenMRS installation procedure. (Tomcat Apache, MySQL, basic linux commands) Backup

Hope it is still useful. Didn’t see your response.

Thank you, Benjamin

Are these knowledge requirements? Knowledge of how to do Ubuntu install? Knowledge of Navicat or MySQL workbench or actual laptop WITH those tools?

What basic capacities are required? Linux command line?

What type of roles would be applicable? Existing network administrator? Software developer? Program manager (no probably unless they are also a network admin or developer)? Super user?

Thanks! Andy

These knowledge will be useful but can be acquired within a short while. As they repeat the tasks, it becomes second nature.

These roles or skills are for those who will support the implementation, they are capable of setting the servers in place, like installing the operating system, the OpenMRS platform, ensuring the server is available for the clients to access.

A typical network or system administrator should not find this a problem. A developer would be needed if there is need for deeper customization of the platform. There will be a critical need of a developer if the application is required to be automated or complex reports are required. If there is also need for the OpenMRS to feed in to other platforms.

I hope this makes sense, Benjamin

Benjamin, my original request was to identify which requirements for students to participate in the 2-3 day training. In other words, prerequisites. If a student wanted to participate in the training, but couldn’t use Linux, would you let them participate? We don’t have time to train everyone on the basics of computer use… so this was to set a minimum expectation for people who wanted to attend the OpenMRS training.

If they have these skills they are OK. If they do not have yet but are network administrator or system administrator. They can be groomed in less than 3 days to handle some of the basic skills if trained. I will allow a student to join the training, as long as he has an idea of any operating system, because OpenMRS can be installed on the Microsoft Windows System as well.

Thank you, Benjamin

Folks, the training is to take place over 2-3 days the third week in October or the first week in November. Please reconfirm whether you are able to take responsibility for the training, including traveling and presenting/leading. Novartis has proposed paying for one international trainer (for travel/living expenses but no per diem). @arbaughj @ssemakadde @ball in particular, please chime in ASAP. Thanks!

Sorry @akanter, but I can’t do it. Too much need at PIH and not enough resources.

Thanks @akanter!

I would love to help out with this implementation training!

I can tentatively be available after October 20th, but must be back in Haiti by November 5th. I’m trying to plan another activity, but haven’t been able to nail those dates down yet. It is possible that it could conflict. When I know more, I will let you know.

I could take responsibility for presenting/leading OpenMRS basics like concepts, form development and reporting. I would hope to borrow some presentation materials from @akanter/@ball and @mseaton.

This would be perfect. I will let them know after the 20th (including travel time). I am sure there are plenty of presentations to draw from, but we should work with Matthew and the education group at OpenMRS to figure out the best agenda/objectives/materials :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, James! We’ll nail this down this week. @ssemakadde, are you still able to do this? We would need to finalize the agenda and ensure that we are all working together on the presentations.

@akanter i am still available

Matt/James, we need to get all on the same page as to timing, agenda, materials, etc. Do you two want to meet first (as I might be the hardest to schedule) and get back to me?

@ssemakadde and @akanter, I can be available any time today, tomorrow or Thursday morning to work out our plan. I’m in Haiti time, which is the same as US Central time this time of year.

@akanter and @arbaughj when can we meet

I am booked tomorrow. Perhaps you two can meet and work out a plan and then we can debrief via email or another time.

Hi @ssemakadde, I have requested to add you to my Skype (arbaughj) so we can work together on a basic plan for the Ghana training. I’ll try to hang out on Skype most of the day, so drop in when you get a free moment.

From GHS/Novartis: Dear Andy, I have discussed the proposed date for the oMRS training with the GHS. The 3rd week of October however seems not to be convenient to them. They are rather suggesting 2nd or 3rd week in November. Kindly let me know how convenient this may be to the trainers?