Ideas for GSOC 2023

is this channel for contributors too? I am just a beginner here so asking, sorry for interrupting.

@kartikaysaxena we are glad to have you join the community. Checkout Guide for the New and Curious - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki

Hi @dennis I am much interesting in workin gon this project. In simple terms the project requires migrating the forms from vanella react to reack hooks which enhance better functionality. Can I create a project topic on the openmrs so we discuss the idea more there or which other way is the best.

Hello @dennis ,

My name is Akshat, and I’m interested in participating in Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2023. I’ve been exploring project ideas on the GSoC website, and I’m particularly interested in your project on " Migrate forms to React Hook Form for OpenMRS 3" .

I’m writing to you to request your guidance on this project and to learn more about your expectations for potential contributors. I’m keen to understand the scope of the project and any resources or materials I should review before getting started. Finally, I would appreciate it if you could share your email address so that I can connect with you further and keep you updated on my progress.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Technically, it’s more trying to migrate from one form library (Formik,) to another (RHF) while trying to maintain the benefits of using a React-focused form library (minimise unnecessary component re-renders, work with React’s onChange weirdness, validation integration, etc.).

1 Like

Hi all, This is regarding the project idea I suggested above. I updated this document by including my findings on O3 Unit and Integration Tests. Here is a summary:

These are some of my findings:

1. The unit/integration test coverage is low. (Some O3 modules have no tests at all)
  2. We have been mocking the openmrsFetch function to mock the network calls in existing tests. We can replace it with MSW(Mock service worker) which is a better way of mocking the network calls.

Major suggestions which I made are:

1. Rewrite the existing integration tests to work with MSW (Mock service worker)
  2. Improve the Unit and Integration test coverage
    • By Writing the missing tests
    • By Improving the existing tests

If we can add a GSoC project on this, the selected student can work on fulfilling the main requirements (suggestions) mentioned above.

At the end of the project, the OpenMRS3 modules will have a comprehensive set of unit and integration tests for the existing features. It will enable O3 developers to refer to them when developing new features in the future. It will also help us to move towards test-driven development, which is one of the goals of the QA squad.

What do you think? @jayasanka @kdaud @dkigen

@ibacher this is a great insight.

Thanks for bringing this up @piumal1999. Could you please add it to the projects list?

1 Like

@piumal1999 could there be specific esm-modules or all modules?

Mainly this will be focused on the esm modules under esm-patient-chart and esm-patient-management.

hello @dennis my name is perpetua and i am delighted to be in this community…I’m particularly interested in your project on " Migrate forms to React Hook Form for OpenMRS 3" . and i hope to contribute to this project…if you could point me in the right direction

Hello, I’m interested in the ** O3: Migrate forms to React Hook Form.**

I’m excited to contribute to your organization.

I look forward to hearing from you about the next steps, and if there is anything that I can clarify about my experience or qualifications for the open-source contribution, please don’t hesitate to reach out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you, Rosy

Hello @dennis, I came across your post about GSoC 2023 ideas, and I am impressed with the innovative projects you’ve suggested. In particular, I find the project "Migrate forms to React Hook Form" to be an exciting opportunity to improve user experience and streamline the OpenMRS platform.

As someone who is passionate about front-end development and has experience working with React.js, I am particularly interested in this project. I am confident that my skills in React.js, JavaScript, and data structures and algorithms can be leveraged to make significant progress in this project.

I am excited about the prospect of working with you and the OpenMRS community on this project and contributing to its success. Thank you for sharing your ideas, and I look forward to discussing this further with you.

@dennis I am writing to express my interest in contributing to the “Migrate Forms to React Hook Form” project. I have been following the project’s progress and I am impressed by the scope and potential impact of this project.

I have experience with React and form handling, and I believe that my skills could be a valuable asset to the project. I would like to contribute to this project by helping with the migration of forms to React Hook Form and related components.

I have already familiarized myself with React Hook Form by studying the official documentation and building some simple forms. I am confident that I can quickly get up to speed on the project’s requirements and coding standards.

Please let me know if there are any specific tasks or areas where you need help. I would be happy to contribute to any part of the project that aligns with my skills and experience.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Sincerely,

Adam

@ladyperpetua @paintedlbird7 @neerajmanit25 @adam7 did you get a chance to look at? Interested Contributors, Get Ready for GSoC 2023 and GSoC 2023 Contributor Application Period Is Open

Thank you for getting in touch. I have carefully considered the information you provided and I am interested in participating in the GSoC 2023 program. Can you please let me know what the next steps are and how I can best prepare for the application process? I am eager to learn more and excited about the opportunity to contribute to this project.

@neerajmanit25 you may need to take a second look at the second talk post shared above!

Ok, Sure sir @kdaud

I would like to work on this project, this project perfectly fits my skills, So can anyone guide me where to find the source code and how am i going to connect with the mentor ?

@asm11 which project idea are you referring to?