My OpenMRS Fellowship Journey: Piumal Rathnayake

The past two weeks have been very productive, and I would like to share some of the activities I have been involved in during that period.

On 15th and 16th March, we had the OpenMRS Virtual Mini Community Meeting, where I presented the Squad Showcase Representing the QA Support Team with @jayasanka and @anjisvj. During the session, we addressed three common questions that OpenMRS implementers and developers have, and I presented about the stability of O3 and how we plan to achieve stability through QA. You can find the recording of the session here.

Over the past two weeks, all the major bugs related to the esm-patient-lists app were fixed, particularly the issue with the delete patient list option. Thanks to @manojll, who resolved it by fixing the openmrs-cohort-module, I was able to finalize the patient-list e2e test and update my pull request.

However, I encountered another problem that blocked merging the patient-list e2e test. In the GitHub action workflows, we have been using the ubuntu-latest image, and in that runner, port 8084 is used by a service called mono by default. As a result, the esm-patient-lists app fails to run on port 8084, which is the port set automatically for the app. I opened a ticket for this issue, and @chiran is currently working on it.

Apart from those, I had the opportunity to learn how to release OpenMRS modules through the bamboo dashboard. I was able to get access to the OpenMRS bamboo dashboard and release the version 3.4.0 of openmrs-cohort-module. Also, I learnt how to add newer version of openmrs modules to the dev3 environment.

In some good news, we were able to add a GSoC Project idea based on the Unit & Integration test strategy we discussed earlier. To learn more, you can refer to the document included in my last post, my comment on GSoC Ideas List, or the project Wiki. I am willing to be the primary mentor for this project, so if anyone is interested, feel free to reach out through Slack or OpenMRS Talk.

I also began reviewing the existing marking rubric used to rate the GSoC contributor application. We need to get it ready before the end of the contributor application period. I went through it and made some improvements and had an informative discussion with other mentors on 2023-03-26T18:30:00Z.

In the upcoming weeks, I hope to fix the issues mentioned earlier, create the wiki page for integration tests, and start working on a new O3 test plan. Regarding GSoC, I aim to finalize the marking rubric and help interested students by reviewing their proposals.

2 Likes