Primary Mentor: Burke Mamlin
Technical Writer: Ayeshmantha Perera.
Documentation Link:- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs
Documentation Server Link:- https://rest.openmrs.org/#openmrs-rest-api
Main Influence for the Project
What is OpenMRS & Where is it?
OpenMRS is a software platform and a reference application that enables the design of a customized medical records system with no programming knowledge (although medical and systems analysis knowledge is required). It is a common platform upon which medical informatics efforts in developing countries can be built. The system is based on a conceptual database structure that is not dependent on the actual types of medical information required to be collected or on particular data collection forms and so can be customized for different uses.
OpenMRS is now in use around the world (see the OpenMRS Atlas), including South Africa, Kenya, Rwanda, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Uganda, Tanzania, Haiti, India, China, United States, Pakistan, the Philippines, and many other places. This work is supported in part by many organizations including international and government aid groups, NGOs, as well as for-profit and nonprofit corporations.
OpenMRS has a huge community and it is growing day by developers, technical writers, software testers and a lot of people using openMRS.The main influence is to provide them high-level documentation on API.
The primary objective of the project is to develop interactive documentation where end-users can interact with APIs with try out options and in the meantime having a more descriptive and self-explained description that explains the technical and nontechnical people on what situation one should use the endpoint. The current swagger environment is great but for nontechies and techies still, it’s harder to get an idea directly without proper documentation. The main idea would be getting this swagger environment and documentation in one place with a nice representation. With the help of JS, HTML, and CSS.
- Write API documentation for resource types.
- Integrate documents with Slate(Beautiful static documentation for your API ).
- Write API documentation for resource types.
- Visits :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/3
- Visits Type :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/4
- Visits Attribute Type :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/5
- Location Type :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/7
- Location Attribute :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/8
- Location Tag :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/9
- Encounter :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/11
- Encounter Role :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/12
- Encounter Type :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/13
- Provider :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/16
- Provider Attribute Type :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/17
- Concept :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/24
- Concept Source :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/25
- Concept Data Type :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/26
- Concept Attribute Type :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/27
- Concept Map Type :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/28
- Concept Class Type :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/29
- Concept Reference Term :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/30
2. Integrate documents with Slate (Beautiful static documentation for your API ).
- Slate UI Integration :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/30
- Adding Travis Build File :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/18/commits/4b621b121d5fd76d7585f80fb87652438171c6a0
- Adding ReadMe File :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/18/commits/79074281687100d3a401911ae00f856d4870162d
3. Write Overview documentation
- Authentication Document :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/1
- Info Document :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/2
- Overview Document :- https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs/pull/34
- Help mentor to maintain rest API documentation web site: - https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-rest-api-docs
During the program worked on main resource types still, there are few type to be covered. Currently, we only have the console-based example in the rest.openmrs.org which needs to be extended to have more examples with more programming languages.
Thoughts on GSoD
GSoD is one of the main programs in the world which encourages and helps people to engage in opensource development. The experience it brings to technical writers is very valuable for there future work.
As I always mention openMRS is one of the best opensource communities in the world. My mentor is always helpful for me when proceeding with the project. And motivated me to work towards the end of the project.
Finally, I would like to thank openMRS community who gave me this opportunity to work with the community and also to Google for organizing such an awesome opensource event for technical writers.