GSoC2021: Clinical Data Management - Final Submission

GSoC 2021: Clinical Data Management - An astonishing Journey

This post describes my whole work done during my coding period of 10 weeks with OpenMRS under Frontend Squad.

Project: Clinical Data Management

Primary Mentor: Mr. Dennis Kigen @dkigen

Secondary Mentor: Mr. Donal Kibet @dkibet

Abstract

Clinical Data Management is a child project under Modernizing Administrative functions for OpenMRS. The project focuses on porting administrative functions for managing clinical data within OpenMRS to OpenMRS 3.0: A Frontend Framework. As frontend technologies have evolved quickly over the past 5 years, many sites have started making their front ends for the platform, Thereby, OpenMRS is moving from legacy server-rendered pages to React using Carbon Design within a micro frontend framework.

My Responsibilities

My work as a student Developer, being a part of “Microfrontend Squad”, was to build various extensions and widgets/ sections. Along with that, I was responsible for communicating with various teams during the period and developed in collaboration with those teams.

Who am I?

I am Vineet Sharma @vasharma05, a student at the National Institute of Technology Hamirpur, pursuing an Integrated BTech + MTech Dual Degree and will be post-graduated in 2022. I have worked in web development for the past 2 years and have also represented our institute in National level hackathons during my study.

Contribution in OpenMRS

I joined OpenMRS in February 2021 and started my code contributions in March 2021. I was very determined and enthusiastic to be a part of a great and helpful community. My journey in OpenMRS was a life-changing experience, got to learn about open-source and was a great platform to start a professional career. I will surely encourage my juniors and my mates to contribute to OpenMRS.

My journey so far

I have immense pleasure in expressing my sincerest and deepest sense of gratitude towards my mentors, senior developers, coordinators from various teams, and GSoC admins for their assistance, valuable guidance, and cooperation in carrying out the project successfully. I am greatly thankful to my parents, friends for their motivation, guidance, and help whenever needed.

The journey of more than 6 months with OpenMRS is a journey that will be remembered for the rest of my life. Being a part of a great community gave me countless emotions and opportunities for the rest of my life. My mentors and admins taught me a lot about professional work, delivering the best results out of my work, and how to lead a better professional life. I am thankful to all of you for your support in every step.

#My contributions

1. Past Visits Widget

Link to the Pull Request: Base Structure for Past Visits Widget. by vasharma05 · Pull Request #276 · openmrs/openmrs-esm-patient-chart · GitHub

1. Fixed the color profile of nav links

Pull request Link: Fixed the color profile of nav icons by vasharma05 · Pull Request #129 · openmrs/openmrs-esm-core · GitHub

1. Fixed design issues in Patient Registration Form

Pull request Link: MF-638: Fix design issues in the patient registration form by vasharma05 · Pull Request #14 · openmrs/openmrs-esm-patient-management · GitHub

1. Active Visits Widget — Iteration 1

Pull Request Link 1: MF-615: Active Visits Widget by vasharma05 · Pull Request #15 · openmrs/openmrs-esm-patient-management · GitHub

Pull Request Link 2:Improvements in Active VIsits Widget by vasharma05 · Pull Request #17 · openmrs/openmrs-esm-patient-management · GitHub

1. Active Visits Widget — Iteration 2

Pull Request Link: Visit Summary added to Active visits widget by vasharma05 · Pull Request #28 · openmrs/openmrs-esm-patient-management · GitHub

1. Add Patient to Patient List Modal

Pull Request links: MF-641: Completed Patient List Modal by vasharma05 · Pull Request #26 · openmrs/openmrs-esm-patient-management · GitHub

1. Cohort Details

Pull Request Link: MF-667: Patient List Detail View by vasharma05 · Pull Request #34 · openmrs/openmrs-esm-patient-management · GitHub

Weekly blogs:

My Journey to Google Summer of Code 2021 @ OpenMRS | Vineet Sharma | vasharma05 | Jun, 2021 | Medium | Medium

Community Bonding Period at OpenMRS | by Vineet Sharma | Medium

Week 0: 31 may 2021–4th June 2021 Progress | by Vineet Sharma | Medium

Week 1: June 7 — June 11 2021. This blog is the progress report of the… | by Vineet Sharma | Medium

Week 2 | GSoC’21 | OpenMRS | Coding Period | | by Vineet Sharma | Medium

Week 3 | GSoC’21 | OpenMRS | Coding Period | by Vineet Sharma | Jun, 2021 | Medium

Week 4 | GSoC’21 | OpenMRS | Coding Period | by Vineet Sharma | Jul, 2021 | Medium

Week 5| GSoC’21 | OpenMRS | Coding Period | by Vineet Sharma | Jul, 2021 | Medium

Week 6 | GSoC’21 | OpenMRS | Coding Period | by Vineet Sharma | Aug, 2021 | Medium

Week 7 | GSoC’21 | OpenMRS | Coding Period - Vineet Sharma - Medium

Week 8 | GSoC’21 | OpenMRS | Coding Period | by Vineet Sharma | Aug, 2021 | Medium

Week 9| GSoC’21 | OpenMRS | Coding Period - Vineet Sharma - Medium

Week 10 | GSoC’21 | OpenMRS | End to Coding Period | by Vineet Sharma | Aug, 2021 | Medium

GSoC Final work submission

GSoC 2021 : An astonishing journey with OpenMRS | Vineet Sharma | by Vineet Sharma | Aug, 2021 | Medium

Special thanks to @grace @jennifer @dkigen @dkibet @jdick @mksd @florianrappl @nmalyschkin @bistenes @burke and many more…

That’s all!

3 Likes

Thank you @vasharma05 for choosing OpenMRS as your GSOC project! We’re so thankful to have met you. My personal favorite piece of work you did is the Active Visits Widget. It’s so nice to have that first iteration of our 3.0 EMR dashboard done, thanks to you.

Everyone on the squad who worked with you has shared very positive things with me about your enthusiasm, commitment, and learning style.

Looking forward to seeing you around more and continuing to work with you!

2 Likes