GSoC 2022 : Project Brainstorming

Investiagte and address why DHIS connector module isn’t that popular

Despite being an extremely useful feature in openMRS, DHIS connector module is not used as commonly as was intended at first. With last years GSoC projects some new features were also added but that did not solve the issue of this module not being used by many. If we could investigate more into why this is not used and address that in a GSoC project this year it’ll be a great selling point for openMRS. Writing a microfrontend based new UI could be the fix to this issue, if the feel of UI/UX is the root cause.

cc: @dkayiwa @grace

4 Likes

@jennifer @mozzy hen will the GSoC project list will be released by Openmrs?

we are trying to track them here Summer Of Code 2022 - Resources - OpenMRS Wiki

1 Like

Should I add my project idea for the android client to this list? (which I drafted here: GSoC 2022 : OpenMRS Android Client Project 3.0.x - Projects - OpenMRS Wiki)

1 Like

hi @elonshubham i am going to add the project to our lists of projects by the end of tommorrow

1 Like

Sure @herbert24. Thanks for considering.

Dear @herbert24 Just inquiring about FHIR, Is this year’s GSoc running only FHIR IG project. I remember sometime back @ibacher was suggesting to extend the remaining resources which had not yet been implemented to be included as a part of the projects of this year’s GSoC.

CC: @mozzy

Regards

greetings @slubwama do you think we can document the missing resources for FHIR quickly and have it added on our GSOC 2022 list of projects by 15th this month or its some thing that might take some good time !

@elonshubham @saurabh can you please share the student application and proposal template.

2 Likes

We will be Sharing these next week

@herbert24 Thanks

I think there are some typo in one project of the idea list. The Project is [OpenMRS Android Client Project 3.0.x] . Here in the PROJECT RATING AND LENGTH section it is written that it’s an Advanced 350 hours project but in the Project Page it self it is written that Medium 175 hours. Besides in the Required Skills section it is written "React ,Android " But in the Project Page it is written , Skills Needed:

1. Android
  2. Java
  3. Kotlin
  4. MVVM Architecture
  5. JUnit Testing
  6. Architecture Components
  7. Android Jetpack Libraries "

REFERENCE :

Idea list :

OpenMRS Android Client Project 3.0.x Project Page :

Can you please review this ? :blush: @herbert24

1 Like

fixed thanks, the proposal template will be out as soon as we finalize its discussion

Hey @herbert24 can you please share me the proposal template.

could you be looking for GSOC 2022: Application Template

1 Like

@herbert24 thank you :relaxed:

Improving DHIS connector data push scheduling (automation)

The above component of the module can be improved by attending to the identified issues mentioned below.

Main objectives

1. Workflow of creating a new schedule

The current automation interface provides a simple form to pick some elements associated with mappings and data push runs and save them into a new entry of automation. The student should analyze the current implementation and propose a pragmatic solution considering what is necessary that should be in the create new schedule form and what can be derived from the above necessary items.

1. Make existing schedules accessible to the user with a set of actions to control them

Currently there is no option for the users to access the already created schedules in the system. Information on those schedules should be available to the users with a set of actions on each one of them to control them. These controls must include a switch to turn the schedule on and off, edit the details like the execution time and frequency. With those improvements details of which report data is pushed at what time and what schedules are active and not should also be accessible to the user. An elegant way to list down those items should be proposed by the applicant.

1. Execution details of the automated data pushes should be available to the user

Currently even though the data is being properly pushed on to DHIS instances there is no mechanism in the connector module to keep track of the data pushes done through automation. The users should be able to see the log of the data pushes and identify the data that was pushed on the past runs with indications on whether those runs were successful or not. The applicant should propose a good plan to meet those needs.

1. Document how the scheduling and DHIS connector module can be used with these new enhancements

Secondary Objectives

1. Test out the DHIS connector module, identify and handle errors

The module has a history of throwing out 500 server errors with massive java stack traces. The applicant should be able to go through the module, test out the functionalities, find out the faults and handle those exception throws in a practical and user friendly way.

Eg:

• ADX option on data push throws a 500 error
  • Automation tab throws out a null pointer exception when there are no mappings created

Project Rating and Length

Medium

175 Hours

Required Skills

• Good understanding of the programming fundamentals
  • Java
  • SQL
  • OpenMRS data model & API
  • OpenMRS DHIS connector module

cc: @grace @herbert24 @mozzy

hi @heshan have you looked at Summer Of Code 2022 - Resources - OpenMRS Wiki

1 Like

Ah yes @herbert24 Im not looking to apply this time :slight_smile: Just thought this might be a good addition to the project idea list

1 Like

Thanks, @heshan, for the project idea. I believe this will increase the value of the DHIS2 connector module, as well as serve as a strong selling point for OpenMRS. Since you have good experience with the module, would you like to mentor the project if the GSoC committee decides to publish this as a project? I would love to help as a secondary mentor to get this project done as I also have a good understanding of the project.

@herbert24 @grace any chance of adding this to the project list?

1 Like