Google Code-in 2018 Student and Mentor meet and greet

Hello @jwzhang

Welcome to OpenMRS Community and thanks for reaching us this time. If you need any helps, don’t hesitate to contact any of us. Good luck :slight_smile:

Hi everyone!

1. I found out that Google Code-In tasks vary in their languages and difficulties.
  2. This is my first year
  3. This will be an easy and fast way to contact mentors
  1. An interesting fact that I learned about OpenMRS is that it started off as a system that could electronically store medical records. It then grew in order to improve the treatment of HIV in Africa. OpenMRS is programmed in JAVA and is build on the MySQL database management system.
  2. No, I haven’t participated in Google Code-In during previous years. I am excited to be starting this year!
  3. I expect OpenMRS to provide me with interesting programming tasks that will challenge me to learn new languages and concepts. I also expect that their staff will be there to guide me whenever I require assistance on a task.

Hey @rebecaluedtke and @h33won welcome to the OpenMRS community! :smiley:

Feel free to reach out mentors for any help :slight_smile:

Hello everyone!

1. I learned that OpenMRS was from the start conceived as a general purpose electronic medical record system that could support the full range of medical treatments, and has now spread all over the globe, helping Man fight diseases.
  2. No, this is my first time. :smile:
  3. I truly believe in OpenMRS’ motto of “Write code, save lives” and wish that coding helps create change. Working in collaboration with the world’s largest and most flexible technology platform to support delivery of health care will not only help me improve my coding skills but also widen my knowledge of healthcare.

Hi all,

1. OpenMRS is based around the world and is in use in many developing areas in Africa in Asia, and can be implemented in those areas effectively, which is impressive considering lack of resources in many of those areas.
  2. Nope- this is my first year
  3. I hope that, through working on projects with OpenMRS, I can become more versed in programming, learning more about data structures and higher level computer science ideas.

Hi to the OpenMRS mentors. I’m very interested in OpenMRS because I have always had an interest in the ways that Computer Science can help the healthcare industry.

1. OpenMRS came to be as a way to help treat HIV in Africa
  2. I have never participated in Google Code-In before.
  3. I expect to learn more about collaborating in an open source community and further develop my programming skills.

Hello @aranyoray, @kgauld1, @nayan

Welcome to OpenMRS Community and thanks for reaching us this time. Hope you will enjoy and learn a lot from the contest.

If you need any helps, don’t hesitate to contact any of us. Good luck !!

1. I heard that OpenMRS is treating fatal diseases in Africa
  2. This is my first time
  3. I want to collaborate with open communities to gain more experience , learn new things as well as meet new people

Hi there! Just Learned that OpenMRS is in use in more than 20 countries, Great work guys! And yes this is is my first GCI and I really look forward to learn a lot from it.

I already learned how to draw a flowchart!

@bauripalash and @mehrsachal welcome to openmrs community and we wish you luck.

Hi, everyone.I’m Sanjali Ekanayake. 1.I’m very glad about the actions taken by the OpenMRS organisation having said that I thought of selecting OpenMRS as my assisting organisation.I thought of participating for the google code in competition because I will be able to claim exciting tasks and I will also get the experience to get participated in google code in competition.I will gain the experience to work with different coding activities. 2.No I haven’t participated before. This is my first experience…:slightly_smiling_face: 3.To do better tasks to the world, like what you have done and to enlighten human world.:earth_asia:

Glad to have you in the openmrs community. Good luck

1 Like
  1. Google code-in is a very interesting idea and experiences. Giving many people a way to challenge themselves and learning new tasks.

2. No I did not

3. I expect to learn more about open source and improve my programming skills

1 Like

Hi Mentors :slight_smile: I’m Ben, and I’m very excited to help out with your code-in!

1. Before the organisations were released for GCI, I had never heard of OpenMRS before. When I saw that there was an organisation out there who could use computing and coding to improve the lives of others I was immediately drawn to helping out with it.
  2. This is my first time participating in the Code-in.
  3. I hope to gain more experience in coding open-source projects, and that any resources I provide would be used to better the lives of others.
  1. I just recently found out about OpenMRS looking at tasks on google code in, and have found out a decent amount about it since. One of the most interesting things I found about OpenMRS was the ability to install add-ons, which is a great feature because it allows for customization beyond what I saw in the demo. On a more general note, however, I think its amazing how many features it has included out of the box, given it being an open source project.
  2. No, I just found out about it this year.
  3. I think I just expect to learn a lot and gain skills I can use in future jobs. I really am interested in this project, so I just hope I can contribute to the full extent.

@atom, @bconzore and @nightmaze welcome to the community feel free to reach out any mentor for help

1 Like

Hi!

One interesting fact about Google Code-in that I like is how people can actually get involved with open source projects in a fun and easy way. I remember when I tried to get involved with some of my favorite open source projects like Atom editor and I found it really hard and confusing. GCI on the other hand is a fun way to get involved for beginners which is crazy cool.

No, this is my first and last GCI because I’m 17, sadly. I really wish I could have participated in previous years.

From OpenMRS, I expect an engaging way that I can both work on my coding ability and experience with the open source community, AND spend my time doing something that hopefully helps OpenMRS out because I really like the idea of an open source health records platform for resource-constrained areas.

Hello Friends!

1. Just learned that OpenMRS is in use in more than 20 countries, Great work!
  2. Nope, I did not participate in any previous GCI this is my first time.
  3. I expect to learn about collaboration, handling difficult tasks and brushing up my coding skills! Really hope to contribute towards OpenMRS and its cause!

Hey Mentors! I’m really excited to get to know all of you.

1. I have truly discovered the importance of Open Source Projects through my introduction to GCI and OpenMRS. What OpenMRS does is amazing and the opportunities it provides for those who truly need it is simply amazing. The simple notion that people around the world can come together with their passion to help those in need and improve the world through tech that innovates modern health really stuns me.
  2. I did not participate in previous years which is unfortunate because I’m already really enjoying it already.
  3. I expect some fun tasks and the ability to improve my programming skills through contributions to an open source project.