Google Code-in 2018 Student and Mentor meet and greet

Hi all,

Welcome to all participants in Google Code-in at OpenMRS.

We would like to get an understanding about you and us during the contest. So please introduce your self to the OpenMRS community by answering these questions below, (DON’T POST YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION HERE)

1. What are interesting facts about Google Code-in and/or OpenMRS which you found so far?
  2. Did you participate in Google Code-in during the previous years? If yes, what are those Orgs?
  3. What do you expect from OpenMRS?

We look forward to getting to know you and all the other participants over the next few months! The OpenMRS community is waiting to work with you and help you to get more knowledge and experience from the Google Code-in. So don’t hesitate to ask any issues regarding the contest. You can contact any of our mentors to talk and clarify your issues.

P.S : Please use this thread only for introductions and keep conversations on the GCI telegram channel.

DON’T POST ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION

• Don’t include your personal information like names, age, date of birth, address, school information, etc
  • Don’t share your personal emails or passwords in any of this place
  • Don’t post your personal ideas, future plans in the public forums
  • If you need any helps, please contact any of us before posting any of your information.

Cheers :wink:

4 Likes
  1. I have found that it is important to have open source projects like OpenMRS
  2. No I didnt
  3. To help me develop myself and improve the quality of my work
2 Likes

Hi @leader.

Welcome to OpenMRS Community. You can work on the tasks from Google Code-in dashboard. If you need any helps, Don’t hesitate to contact any of us. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi to the OpenMRS mentors. I’m very interested in OpenMRS because I have always had an interest in the ways that Computer Science can help the healthcare industry.

1. OpenMRS came to be as a way to help treat HIV in Africa
  2. I have never participated in Google Code-In before.
  3. I expect to learn more about collaborating in an open source community and further develop my programming skills.
3 Likes

Hi.

I’m interested in OpenMRS becouse my dream is to help doctors in future with cancer treatment using AI and other diseases.

1. For me it’s important to work for open source projects becouse we are improving the programming world(and not only this one) then!
  2. No, this is my first GCI.
  3. Amazing tasks, good atmosphere and great people! :smile:
2 Likes

Hi, I’m Aleksander :slight_smile: Really happy to join you this year

Here are the answers:

1. The story behind OpenMRS (parts of it available here) is really inspirational and amazes me how a simple will of making a change becomes an advanced EMR system implemented all around the world. And about GCI? The boom of interest around the contest. I’ve been absolutely shocked how popular GCI is since previous year :smiley: here’s an article
  2. I have participated the previous year and made most of my task for MovingBlocks/Terasology. Previous year has taught me how to collaborate with other developers :slight_smile: What makes me really happy is the fact that both projects (Terasology and OpenMRS) use Java mainly, which is an language i have some (yeah, I’m aware of Dunning-Krueger) of experience in. I’m also taking one of my final’s subject, CS, in Java.
  3. Interesting tasks :slight_smile: Also I hope I’ll meet amazing people and I wish that OpenMRS will keep on introducing new young collaborators to open source :grin:
1 Like

Hi OpenMRS mentors! :slight_smile: My name is Mikolaj.

1. OpenMRS started developing a treatment unit as a response to Ebola epidemy in 2014
  2. Yes, I have participated in Google Code-in last year. Mainly in the SCoRE organization.
  3. Balanced difficulty and interesting tasks, nice mentors, fun :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Welcome @iperez, @serekkiri, @anuar2k and @miko :smiley:

Greetings from OpenMRS! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m Lana and I’m so excited to start my GCI experience!

Actually, I’ve been waiting for this day since summer. For me the most impressing thing about GCI is that it is 9 years old, and it doesn’t just ‘exist’ but grows every time. Speaking about OpenMRS, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that map with the places where the platform works. OpenMRS isn’t just something in the air and on GitHub, it’s the real platform which is needed.

This GCI is my very first and, unfortunately, last one as I won’t be eligible next year. At least as a participant :wink:

I chose OpenMRS because of the impact it has. I expect the feelings of being a part of something big even by doing something small. Also, I love its internationalism. We live on different continents and speak different languages but all of us are united under the same aim. I hope to gain much knowledge and experience during my journey with OpenMRS. And hopefully, it won’t end even after the middle of December.

2 Likes

Hi @lana

Welcome to the OpenMRS community.

Good Luck :slightly_smiling_face:

openmrs community is glad to have you on board.

1). I found out that Open MRS is an open source code sharing network, and that Google Code-in has sooo many opportunities to code in.

2). Nope. I actually found this today while looking for things to program.

3). I have no idea. This is my first time hearing about this.

1 Like

Welcome to openmrs we look forward for your contribution.

Thanks. I was wondering how to submit my Gist into the actual dashboard where people grade my code. I have it as a .zip, but I was wondering what format I should put it in.

1 Like

you can sent it like that.

Ok Thank you

1 Like
  1. There are many interesting things about Google Code-in and OpenMRS that I have learned so far. In Google Code-in, there are several challenges and tasks from all types of prospects of coding. I find this amazing because students can specify what they will be doing to what they find the most interesting and beneficial to themselves. I love helping others and programming, so I appreciate that I will be able to work on OpenMRS. I previously imagined of such a database like OpenMRS and the benefits it would provide if it existed. Now that I have found it, I will be able to help people fight disease and medical problems in developing countries in a large scale due to the easy accessibility of OpenMRS.
  2. I have never participated in Google Code-ins before. This is my first Google Code-in event.
  3. I am expecting that I will be able to use OpenMRS as a great learning experience for programming and development with a team. I think that this will be fun whilst we are helping people in developing countries.
1 Like

Helloooooooo! I’m very happy to participate in GCI this year to further develop my skills as a programmer and my personality as a person.

1. The Google Code-in tasks are very diverse. There’s everything from coding in different languages to testing out sites!

2. This is my first time participating in Google Code-in.

3. I expect OpenMRS to be a fast way to contact mentors and get help.

1 Like

Hi @adamz and @mpanda

Welcome to OpenMRS Community. If you need any helps, don’t hesitate to contact any of us. Good luck for your works :slight_smile:

Hello everybody!

1. Some interesting things about Google Code-In are the variety of tasks in multiple areas of coding that I can complete, and an interesting thing I found about OpenMRS is the worldwide community of people involved in this project.
  2. I participated in Code-in last year with Zulip.
  3. I’m looking forward to a friendly, educational environment, and I would love to learn more about programming as well as healthcare!