GCI 2019 : Invitation to the Mentors and and open invite to join in!

Hello every one,

Google Code-in 2019 Wiki Page : https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/Google+Code-in+2019

Google Code-in is just opened for the organization registrations. The organizations can register as a mentoring org until October 28 . Then the contest begins for students on December 2, 2019 .

What is the Google Code-in?

The Google Code-in (GCI) is an online contest to introduce pre-university students/high school students to the world of open source development. Pre-university students ages 13 to 17 are invited to take part in Google Code-in. Mentors from the participating organizations lend a helping hand as participants learn what it’s like to work on an open source project. GCI Participants get to work on real software and win prizes from t-shirts to a trip to Google HQ.

• Orgs will evaluate the 20 students completing the most tasks with their org when deciding on finalists and winners
  • Orgs will choose 6 finalists
  • Students will have to wait until Google reviews their Parental Consent form before they can claim their first task. This will slow things down but it is a requirement to be able to continue the program.
  • No tasks asking for personal information about students will be allowed (this includes tasks asking for students to introduce themselves with info like what country they are from, or photos of the students, etc.).

As part of the GCI formalities, we are working on identifying potential tasks for high school / secondary school students (ages 13-17) to work on. Please note that the GCI tasks must be relatively simple for the kids, and may not be limited to coding or programming tasks.

The GCI tasks may categorize into one of these following categories and within each category, we should indicate the level of difficulty using Levels 1 - 3 (where level 1 is the easiest level and level 3 the hardes)

1. Coding : Tasks in this category may include, small bug fixes, small feature implementations, code clean up, etc [e.g. GCI-218 , GCI-200 ]
  2. Documentation / Training : Tasks in this category may include, making video tutorials, blog posts and also helping others in forum, IRC and telegram chat, etc.[e.g.GCI-169 ]
  3. Outreach/ Research : Let the student for researching about a given task to create a report. [e.g. GCI-139]
  4. Quality Assurance : Tasks in this category may include, testing some OpenMRS components, sub-components and UIs. [e.g. GCI-180 ]
  5. Design : Tasks in this category may include, creating a simple designs of banners and tshirts, desgining the UIs using simple web technologies and etc [e.g. GCI-227]

Important Dates of GCI 2019

• Organization Registration : Oct 10 - Oct 28, 2020
  • Mentoring organizations announced : Oct 29, 2020
  • Contest available for students : Dec 2, 2019 - Jan 23, 2020
  • Mentoring organizations submit the list of Winners and Finalists : Jan 30, 2020
  • Grand Prize Winners and Finalists announced : Feb 10, 2020

For more information about what GCI is please visit the program website : Google Code-in official website

OpenMRS as a mentoring org for GCI-2019

OpenMRS participated as an mentoring organization in Google Code-In(GCI) for several years. Like that the OpenMRS will apply for Google Code-In 2019 this year. The community members and past event mentors worked with so many high school kids around the world and mentored them to get some useful contributions and outcomes from those kids.

@suthagar23, @sumangala28, @judeniroshan, and @tendomart will be working as admins for this year GCI. Congratulations :partying_face:

I’m working on the process of preparing the proposal for GCI 2019. So I would like to invite all the community members to provide their suggestions and ideas to make this event better!

• We are calling for potential mentors to guide the kids and help them to enter the Open source world through GCI.

We alreay have about 15 mentors for GCI2019, and If you like to volunteer for Mentor, please comment your name in this post .

As far as I know, there is no barrier of entry for GCI mentors at OpenMRS :slight_smile: . So anyone is welcome to volunteer and help us to make this event successful. But please consider these aspects,

• You don’t need to be a committer to any project or a long time active member in OpenMRS.
  • You just need to be willing to give at least 3 - 5 hours a week to create tasks, review and/or provide feedback to students during the contest time.
  • You just need to participate in the mentor discussions for the tasks improvements, accept/reject status discussions, selecting finalists for OpenMRS and finding the plagiarisms among the works.
  • Please read these requirements for the GCI mentor
  • Guide them and make them happy to enter the Open Source
  • Please don’t sign up just to get the GCI t-shirt :smiley: though that is not forbidden too

Hopefully, I’m expecting to encourage all OpenMRS GSoCers and community members to volunteer their time and mentor GCI. It’s a really rewarding program.

I would like to organize and carry out the Google Code-in 2019 for OpenMRS this year and waiting for the guidance of the admins, past mentors, and students to run this contents successfully!!!

Actually, we need to have about 25 tasks for the application. So Can we move some potential tasks from GCI-2017, GCI-2018 to GCI-2019? Then onwards, we can start to create new tasks based on the types.

Thanks.

10 Likes

Thanks alot @suthagar23

yes i think we can move the pending tasks of GCI-17 and 18 to 19.

Hi @suthagar23 @judeniroshan @tendomart

I would like to mentor in GCI.

1 Like

@suthagar23 I wish to come back as a mentor for GCI 2019. Is it okay?

1 Like

@suthagar23 great to hear i will be available too to help on mentoring

1 Like

@suthagar23 thanks for the work. i would wish to mentor in gci @sharif

1 Like

Hi @suthagar23
i’d love to volunteer as a mentor for GCI. Really excited for this.

2 Likes

@ayesh you are more than welcome.It will be great to have you on board. There’s actually a mound of tasks on your way.

1 Like

thank you @tendomart :slightly_smiling_face:

@suthagar23 well done. I would also like to mentor

1 Like

Same here, would love to mentor again @suthagar23 . @deepak140596 want to help?

@suthagar23 @tendomart @sumangala28 @judeniroshan I would also like to participate in this upcoming event as mentor.

1 Like

@reagan you are very much welcome.

1 Like

Hi @suthagar23. I’d like to be a mentor for GCI.

I would like to mentor too

Would love to mentor this year!

1 Like

Hi @suthagar23 I will love to volunteer as a mentor for this year GCI.

Would love to mentor this year!

I’d love to mentor and be of help to the organization. I have prior experience in open source.

Hi,

I have submitted the application, and it will be reviewed by Google team today. Hopefully we can get results by end of tomorrow.

Thanks.

5 Likes