GCI - 2018 - Official Mentor's list for Google Code-in 2018

Thanks so much for the timely reply.

REMAINDER

ā€“

Mentors,

We just have about 50 tasks right now for the contest. I request every one to create at least 3 - 5 tasks for the contests. Please consider these while creating the tasks,

• Check the existing tasks for GCI-2018 before creating the tasks. Donā€™t make any duplicate tasks which will require more time for us to review
  • Consider the task template for the new tasks - Donā€™t miss submission steps in your task description [Check here]
  • Donā€™t forget to add #gci2018 label for your GCI tasks. Otherwise, we may miss to upload to the GCI dashboard

GCI-JIRA Project - Click here

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Mentors,

We may not have the translation tasks this year also since some one can use Google Translate or other tools to translate that words/phrases. So please keep in my while creating the tasks.

Message from Google about the translation tasks

• We havenā€™t specifically banned translations tasks this year BUT please think carefully about any translation tasks that you offer. In general, weā€™d encourage you to avoid them. If a task can be mostly completed with Google Translate or another automated translation tool, it is not a good task and you should not offer it. Good translation tasks should require deep knowledge of the target language ā€“ and you must be able to verify that the work was done correctly. These tend to not be ā€œtranslationā€ tasks, but ā€œlanguageā€ tasks.
  • Zulip has written some documentation as to different classes of ā€œtranslationā€ tasks and what to look for.
  • Good examples:
    • Developing a language specific style guide for translators to use.
    • Research into UI changes/challenges for different languages. (For example: German has above average word length, and might not fit on your normal buttons.)
    • Find and fix examples where a current translation has a word that doesnā€™t make sense (and explain why itā€™s wrong). (For example: Many languages have multiple different words that mean ā€œbuttonā€. Are you using the right one?")
  • Bad examples:
    • Translate our app/documentation/poster/etc. into language X.
  • Itā€™s worth repeating, you must be able to validate any translation work done. For example, if you donā€™t speak Klingon, you have no way of knowing if the student translated into proper Klingon, or into Romulan. (And the consequences of that could be dire.)
  • If youā€™re not sure if you can make the right kind of translation tasks, we suggest you just donā€™t offer them. Even if you tell them to not use automated translation tools, many students will anyway.

Hi Mentors,

I have uploaded 69 tasks from the GCI-JIRA Project to Google Code-in dashboard. It will be reviewed today and then published for the contest as soon as possible. The uploaded task list is given below (just mentioned the task key, couldnā€™t create the link for all of these).

If you change any content of these tasks in JIRA, please inform us to make those changes in the GCI dashboard as well or you can also change the content in the GCI Dashboard.

TRUNK-5437,TRUNK-5436,TRUNK-5435,TRUNK-5304,TRUNK-3787,PTM-90,LUI-136,GCI-286,GCI-285,GCI-284,GCI-283,GCI-282,GCI-281,GCI-280,GCI-279,GCI-278,GCI-275,GCI-274,GCI-273,GCI-272,GCI-271,GCI-270,GCI-258,GCI-257,GCI-253,GCI-246,GCI-244,GCI-243,GCI-241,GCI-238,GCI-230,GCI-228,GCI-227,GCI-226,GCI-225,GCI-224,GCI-223,GCI-222,GCI-221,GCI-212,GCI-180,GCI-161,GCI-149,GCI-148,GCI-147,GCI-146,GCI-145,GCI-144,GCI-142,GCI-140,GCI-139,GCI-138,GCI-137,GCI-134,GCI-133,GCI-132,GCI-131,GCI-130,GCI-129,GCI-126,GCI-119,GCI-101,GCI-89,GCI-79,GCI-70,GCI-21,GCI-20,GCI-15

Now we have about 79 tasks in the GCI-Dashboard. Thanks for the mentors who really worked to create/pick tasks for GCI this year :slight_smile: We need more tasks for the contest. So please create in the JIRA or GCI dashboard if you have time!

Instructions for the mentors,

1. If you plan to create any tasks in the JIRA dashboard hereafter, please inform us with the task ids. Because we already uploaded all the tasks to the GCI dashboard. So we may miss your tasks to upload to the GCI dashboard. So donā€™t forget to ping us :slight_smile:

2. Mentors, who created the tasks directly in the GCI dashboard, please add the external URL, tags. and categories for those tasks, if those have one.

3. These tasks are easy and small, so we canā€™t allow more than 3 days for the works. So the maximum duration for the tasks should be less than 3 days.

4. If your tasks can be claimed by multiple students at a time, Please increase the instances from 1 to whatever you think (e.g, 1, 2 , 5, 10 ā€¦). Should be less than 99 :wink:

P.S : Strictly we expect new mentors who accepted this year, should be active and need to work on the task creation. Please follow the instructions and help to make this contest in a successful way :slight_smile:. Fresh mentors canā€™t be a visitor once/twice a week. You need to be very active than others!! :smile:

Please let us know if you have any concerns!

Thanks.

3 Likes

@suthagar23 apologies for a little delay from my side. I am currently out of station and I will be active from 21 October. I have thought of 4-5 tasks which I will be creating on 21 and 22 October.

1 Like