Some updates regarding the hackathon that happened in Porto Alegre last week (4th and 6th of November):
We have built a mini-app in AngularJS integrated with OpenMRS, to register all the inpatient information in the hot-zones. We based on this form to build the application.
We are currently on the stage of final integration with OpenMRS, making some bug fixes and adjustments and hopefully we will be very proud to see that working in production.
Here's one of the feedbacks we received so far:
this is amazing! it completely made my day. we opened the centre two days ago and it's been quite chaotic and challenging. we were all feeling exhausted and a bit down last night. it was wonderful to wake up to this email. mario, luiza, glauber and all others who helped - thank you so much. the tool looks really great! i need to run for a car now to the site, but i just wanted to say how grateful i am to have such great (and talented!) colleagues.
We'd like to thank Darius, Ellen and Andy and everyone else who gave us the support to make this happen.
On the below link you can see some screens, pictures of our team and also some of our usability testing. Those screens are from a desktop machine, they look much prettier on a 10'' tablet, though:
Our code is stored on the OpenMRS ebola module. You can check it there.
To make several people who never have worked with OpenMRS build something
like this we had to prepare a bunch of things. This a short list what
we've done to prepare:
Fork the ebola module. People should push quick and often.
Use vagrant to have a local environment. For non-OpenMRS people it takes lots of time to setup the whole environment on the local machine. Time is a luxury on a hackathon, so we decided to use vagrant box that already have the whole environment configured.
Focus on the main goal. Our goal wasn't integrate with OpenMRS (at least not as a first step). Our goal was build a nice UI for a tablet for people using glasses and gloves.
Hide OpenMRS architecture. Even though, I explained a little bit of the OpenMRS architecture on the beginning of the Hackathon I didn't go deep, since they wouldn't need to know to build the UI. So we forked the distro module and created a new synced folder between the host machine and the VM. I mapped the local openmrs module folder to the webapps folders on the Tomcat7 folder. Since we were developing using JS + HTML + CSS we could just save and then reload the page on the browser so we could see our changes instantaneously. That was pretty important to make our team working fast.
Make people setup environment, clone repos and so on BEFORE the hackathon. Even though, it is not much time
required to that, it can impact significantly.
Buy food, beverages, red bulls and so on. People need to eat and drink to work hard
It was a great experience organize that, really fun. If you have more questions about it, please let me know, will be glad to answer.