2021-06-10: Open Mentor Office Hours & Improving Dev Stages

What’s this about? This is a time and space to advance a culture of mentoring in our community by:

• Connecting with other OpenMRS mentors
  • Sharing mentoring tools and resources
  • Asking questions about mentorship techniques and tools
  • Discussing ways to succeed as a mentor

Recently, we’ve been using this time to improve our OpenMRS stages for a variety of dev and QA skills.

Who: Fellow mentors, GSoC mentors, and anyone in the community interested in mentoring others and/or improving our dev stages.

When: Thursday, 10 June at 10:30pm IST | 8pm Nairobi | 7pm Cape Town | 5pm UTC | 1pm Boston | 10am Seattle

Where: https://om.rs/zoomuniv

1 Like

This caption grants me a direct ticket :rocket: for the meeting. Thanks @jennifer

Thanks for the great discussion! @kdaud @jwnasambu @dkayiwa @gracebish @settix.

After we wrapped up, I thought I would look and see what one of my “go-to” mentoring skills resources had to say about two of the topics we discussed. Here’s what they have to say about building trust and being encouraging:

Anything you see here that we didn’t bring up?

4 Likes

Thanks @jennifer for sharing this. I really like your culture of researching.

Thanks @jennifer for sharing. Under Encouraging, Complementing fellow mentors on accomplishments and actions stands out. Actually, we talked more on how a mentor should encourage the mentees. The mentor also needs a lot of encouragement.

:muscle:Quite resourceful.

Thanks @jennifer . I think everything here was hinted on either directly or indirectly.

So in your experience, what are some ways that mentees encourage you? What do they do that inspires you to help them grow?

I am always encouraged when i share a resource with a mentee and the resource helps him/her to achieve the goal. Getting feedback encourages me.